This Event Cache will have a special icon.
What you Need to Know
We will not have food or drink at the event, but Fremont is filled with bars and restaurants. Our event also backs right up to the Fremont Sunday Market, which has even more options.
Make sure to prepare for the weather - Seattle can go from rain to sun to hail in a single day. Even if the forecast calls for sun, sun, sun, you may want to bring some warm clothes for night, since our event is only a 15 minute walk from the Seattle 4th of July Fireworks Show. You can head over to Gas Works Park directly afterward to find a seat.
Finally, we suggest that you bring your GPS device along (of course!). There will be activities for those with and without GPS devices, but we wouldn't want you to miss out on the Geocaching Challenge Course that the creative crew at Geoteaming is setting up in the area. Make sure to watch the cache page so that you can be notified when coordinates are added and receive any additional updates.
Please post a Will Attend log to this page so that we have a general idea of how many geocachers to expect.
We look forward to seeing you on the 4th!
Parking around Fremont is difficult. This will be especially true on the 4th due to the Fremont Sunday Market and the fireworks. We highly suggest that you park elsewhere and take the bus. You can use the Metro trip planner to find the bus most convenient for you. Your destination is 34th & Evanston.
The Getty Images Garage will now be open on the 4th. you can enter the garage anytime between 9 am and 5 pm. Rates: $2.00 first hour $1.00 an hour after that, up to $10.00 max. The pay station is in lobby on 34th. You can still exit after 5 pm, but please note that access to the garage after this time will be through the lobby. The vehicle entrance to the Getty Garage is in the blue rectangle on the map below (right by the handicap parking). Since we will have the street to the West of that closed off, please read the handicap parking information below for driving directions.
If you are looking for free parking, your best chance for parking is in the area around and to the North of N 47°39.211 W 122°21.575. The Burke Gillman bike trail runs directly through this area and straight to our event. We have added the "best chance" parking coordinates as an additional waypoint.
If you need handicap parking, we have 5 spots available. They are in the general area of the blue rectangle on this image. The event is in the general area of the red rectangle.
To get to the parking on Northlake Way, you will need to take a ramp from 34th street. The ramp is directly underneath the Aurora Ave. Bridge. The street is called Troll Ave. Tell the guard at the barricades that you are looking for the handicap parking.
For the Geocaching Challenge course, you'll need the Geocaching Challenge Course Clue sheet and the additional waypoints that say "Challenge Course." This course will be available starting at 11 am on the 4th. Caches will be removed at 3.
So, what's in store this Sunday?
- Dunk tank - Take out all your geocaching frustrations on the brave Lackeys and Volunteer Reviewers who have stepped up to be dunked!
- Scavenger Hunt - Discover some of the most well known sites in the Fremont neighborhood (famous for some strange stuff!)
- Intro to Geocaching - For the newbies! Learn about geocaching and borrow a GPS to try it out. This course will not be available until the beginning of the event on the 4th and that all caches will be removed at the end of the event.
- Geocaching Challenge Course - For the experienced geocacher. The crew from Geoteaming has set up a 10-cache challenge course around Fremont. Learn about the history of geocaching as you find these creative caches. The course will be set up on the day of the event and coordinates are listed here as additional waypoints.
- Kids Area - An area for families to take a break, with coloring sheets, sidewalk chalk and appearances by the Bubbleman from 11:30 - 12:30 and 1:30 -2:30.
- Signal Studios - Take your picture in our photo cutouts or with Signal the Frog during one of three appearances.
- Vendors - Buy official 10th Anniversary merchandise and the new 2010 Lackey Coin at the Shop Groundspeak tent. GPS manufacturers, geocaching merchandise vendors and the Boy Scout's of America will also be in attendance.