How Geocaching Works
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
This cache is a magnetic slightly smaller than 35mm film pot placed about 0.5m above ground level. Cache contains log & a FTF certificate. It should be accessible to wheelchair users, although the cobbled streets may pose a problem in places. This area is likely to be Muggle Central during warm weather. Please use stealth when retrieving and replacing this cache.
The Church of St Mary the Virgin stands on the highest part of Rye & for centuries its tower was used as a look out. The chancel was probably complete by 1120 but little of this early work remains. Left in a ruinous state in 1377, a certain amount of rebuilding work took place, but due to various disagreements and loss of revenues, the building was sadly neglected. By 1701 it was so bad that the king was petitioned, and enough money was raised to ensure that the building was at least safe for worship. Major repairs took place in the 18th & 19th centuries. The tower is open to visitors, & the views from the top are well worth the climb. The old clock mechanism, dating from about 1561, can be seen on the way up, while inside the church the pendulum, 18 feet in length, swings freely to & fro. The clock face dates from about 1760. The original 'Quarter Boys' have been retired & are on view inside the church. The water house (or cistern) in the churchyard was erected in 1735 to increase the water supply to the principal part of the town. At the rear of the church stands the Ypres Tower - Built in 1249 this tower was part of the old town's defences and together with the church, is one of Rye's oldest buildings. It has served the town as a fort, private dwelling, court hall, jail and finally as a museum. Lamb House to the right of the church has been lived in by novelists Henry James & brothers A.C and E.F Benson, as well as by various members of the Grebell & Lamb families. It is now owned by the National Trust and is open to the public on certain days during the summer. If anybody would like to expand the Church Micro series please do, we would just ask that you could let Sadexploration know first so he can keep track of the Church numbers and names, to avoid duplication. LOG SHEET MUST bE SIGNED IN ORDER TO CLAIM CACHE AS FOUND . Thank You
Oruvaq Oynpx Pnovarg