Skip to content

BRIGO Multi-cache

Hidden : 03/22/2010
2 out of 5
1.5 out of 5

Size: Size:   regular (regular)

Join now to view geocache location details. It's free!


How Geocaching Works

Please note Use of services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Geocache Description:

A two-stage cache in a location of archaeological and historical importance and with splendid views

The final cache is not at the above coordinates.

Brigo means ‘fortification’ in Celtic and the history of Lagos dates back to the Celt-Iberic people of some 4,000 years ago. The original settlement was located on a hilltop overlooking the Ribeira de Bensafrim and the Bay of Lagos which also commands magnificent views of the surrounding countryside including the Serra de Monchique and the harbours of Alvor and Portimão.
Around 350 BCE the site was occupied by Carthaginians. It was not until 76 BCE that the Romans arrived when they gave the name ‘Lacóbriga’ to the port town that they constructed beneath what the Celts had called ‘Brigo’. From this time on historical data and artefacts are available. The Visigoths took possession from the sixth century. But around 712 Lacóbriga was taken over by the Moors who called the town Zawiya. It appears to have been of little importance during this Moorish period and there are few historical or archaeological remains available. It was, of course, dwarfed by the nearby Moorish capital, Silb (Silves).
In 1241 Lagos became Christian and grew steadily as a major slave trading port and as a centre for the Age of Discoveries. The Master of the Order of Christ, Prince Henry the Navigator, took up residence in Lagos and extensive boatyards were employed in building and maintaining the royal fleet and merchantmen.
In 1573 Lagos became the Capital of the Algarve and seat of the Bishopric. Two hundred years of prosperity ensued but this ended very abruptly on All Saints’ Day, November 1st, 1755. In the space of about 15 minutes, most of the City of Lagos was destroyed. All over the Algarve the land was shaken and then further devastated by the following tsunami, a tidal wave now thought to have been nine meters high and 400 meters deep, which travelled up to one kilometre inland. This was the ‘Great Lisbon Earthquake’.
All the main buildings of Lagos were gravely damaged, including the ‘Golden Church’ of Santo António. The great church of Nossa Senhora do Carmo cracked down its length and has been unused ever since.
At this time, the capital of the Algarve was transferred to Tavira and, effectively, Lagos was abandoned for about 100 years. Only a very few small buildings remain from that time.
It was not until the closing years of the 19th century, less than 150 years ago, that the shattered town began to recover and became the town we now know today.
The cache is located not far from where archaeological digs are currently being undertaken and which are worth viewing.
Note the 6-letter name on the post at N37º 06.913'; W008º 40.421'. To obtain the cache coordinates:Convert this word into numerals following the formula A=1, Z= 26. This yields an 8-digit number [Check: total of 8 digits = 30]. The last 3 digits of the final cache's northing are: (6th+8th) ((3rd-(4th+2nd)) ((1st + 2nd)+ 6th)). The last 3 digits of the cache's westing are: (8th-7th) (5th+8th) (3rd-2nd). [Check: Northing digits total 16; Westing digits total 17]

Additional Hints (No hints available.)