This "Silver Bonus Cache" is for those who have found any 30 of the qualifying Georgia State Park GeoTour caches, and has found the "Bronze Bonus Cache".
This Whereigo cache will take you on the Wolfden Loop Trail of F.D.R. State Park's east end. Along the trial you'll encounter creek crossings, peaceful waterfalls, high rock cliffs, enormous trees, interesting geological features, and spectacular overlooks. In the right seasons you'll spot numerous varieties of wildlife and plant life. As mentioned, the trail is a loop and you will start and end at the parking area.
The coordinates on this page will take you to the east parking area at the old WJSP TV tower. From this point, you will need to use the whereigo cartridge to find the actual cache. For more information on how to do this, go to the Whereigo website at www.wherigo.com. Once you have learned about Whereigo and are ready to tackle this cache, you will need to download the game cartridge. The link to this cartridge is can be found “here".
As you approach the various stops on the tour, information and instructions will appear on your device. With that said, here's where geocaching comes in. Somewhere in the park there is a hidden ammo can with a log book and trade items. You must complete the trail and take special notice of the instructions at each stop in order to find the cache. To do it correctly you must bring with you some special equipment, including (but not limited to),
- Necessary equipment to use the Whereigo cartridge with a full battery charge (or backups),
- Good hiking shoes (the trail is approximately 8 miles in length),
- Plenty of water & snacks,
- A cell phone and contact numbers in the event of emergency,
- Ruler or tape measure, the longer the better,
- Notepad and pen/pencil,
- Knowledge of how to project a waypoint on your GPS device,
- Good observation skills,
- Determination & perseverance!
This cache hike is in no way a drive-by. Allow at least three hours, tho more time is necessary if you want to get the most out of this adventure. Take your time and have fun!
Steps to the Georgia State Parks GeoTour:
1. Obtain a Georgia State Park GeoTour PassPort from any park or historic site or download a PDF from GaParksGeocaching.com
2. Go to Geocaching.com create a log-in and find the GPS coordinates and more information for the Georgia State Parks GeoTour locations.
3. Start your search and locate one or all caches using a hand-held GPS unit. The cache containers are sealed ammo boxes labeled as a Georgia State Parks & Historic Sites geocache. Caches are located in 42 Georgia state parks and state historic parks.
4. When you find a GeoTour cache, log your name and any comments on the logbook inside the cache and stamp your PassPort grid sheet with the unique stamp for that specific park.
5. Be sure to follow the Leave No Trace guidelines –GeorgiaStateParks.org/LeaveNoTrace
6. Follow the Traveling Gophers. There are 58 Georgia State Park & Historic Sites TravelBugs® moving around the country. Be on the lookout for them and help them get to a new destination.