Minnesota's 3rd Annual Canoe-in Geocaching Event
Come and join us for Minnesota's 3rd Annual Canoe-in Geocaching Event. It includes a run down the Cannon River from Cannon Falls to the Miesville Ravine landing, approximately 6.7 miles of spectacular paddling and geocaching. Following the river run, we'll all gather and have some eats, drinks, and practice socialism (not the Russian kind).
Kayakers are welcome too! Paddling is encouraged but not required. I suppose you could innertube down the river too but you may have difficulties keeping up with the group. If you don't have a desire to paddle, come and geocache the county park and be social. If you don't own a canoe or a kayak, find a friend with an open spot in a boat or rent one.
NEW this year for those that want to join the event but don't want to be on the water, the nearby Cannon Valley Bike Trail now contains enough geocaches to make it a worthwhile geocaching ride. Just be sure to complete your ride and make it to the picnic on time in order to sign the event log.
Bikers should plan accordingly. Miesville Ravine Regional Park is on the opposite side of the river as the Cannon Valley Trail. As far as I know, there is no shuttle service available for biking. Unless you're willing to swim, the only river crossings are in Cannon Falls and in Welch.
This stretch of the Cannon River Valley provides a perfect venue for the adventure-some geocacher. The current geocache situation is the following:
There are 16 geocaches on this stretch of the river.
There are 20-something geocaches on the Cannon Valley Bike Trail from Cannon Falls to Welch.
There are a number of geocaches in the city of Cannon Falls
There are several caches hidden within Miesville Ravine Regional Park.
There are caches placed IN and around Byllesby Lake
All geocaches are permanent.
Where: Miesville Ravine Regional Park
When: Saturday August 21st, 2010
Who: Any geocachers, paddlers, paddling geocachers, bikers, biking geocachers, hikers, families, friends, ALL are welcome!
General Event Info:
- We welcome everyone to join us.
- Bring a dish to share: hot dish, dessert, salad, whatever (keep junk food to a minimum). BRING YOUR OWN MEAT FOR THE GRILL. There WILL be a charcoal grill fired up at the shelter.
- I'll try to bring paper plates, cups and utensils but it'd be best if you didn't rely on me and brought your own.
- Come prepared for "changing" weather. This IS Minnesota, ya know.
- IF YOU ARE PLANNING TO ATTEND AND PLANNING TO RENT, RESERVE YOUR BOAT ASAP.
- It is Minnesota state law that says to bring BRING life preservers. I also believe children are mandated by law to wear them. Be responsible for yourself. You will be attending this event at free will, therefore you can hold no one else responsible or liable other than yourself. You paddle and geocache at your own risk. If you RENT, the rental service DOES provide life preservers for you.
- Admission and parking is FREE! (unless you paddle and boat or equipment rental is required)
- NEW WARNING THIS YEAR. IF YOU ATTEND THE EVENT, DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT PARK IN THE PARKING LOT DRIVEWAY. IF THE PARKING LOT IS FULL, THERE IS ANOTHER PARKING LOT 200' AWAY ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE ROAD. SEVERAL EVENT ATTENDEES GOT PARKING TICKETS LAST YEAR FOR BLOCKING THE DRIVEWAY.
Schedule: (this schedule will evolve somewhat as details are confirmed)
- 9:00 AM: Early arrival and setup
- 9:00 AM to 10:00 AM: Gather at Miesville Ravine - near listed coordinates. If you plan on using your OWN boat, have your boat dropped off in Cannon Falls BEFORE gathering or be prepared pay a small fee to have the shuttle move it for you.
- 10:00 AM: Begin moving towards Cannon Falls. Shuttle service will be arranged.
- 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM: Get everyone moving on the river. Get bikers on the trail. I suspect there will be various fragmented groups on the river and the bike trail.
- 2:00 PM to 3:00 PM: Arrive back at Miesville Ravine for picnic and gathering.
- 2:00 PM: Socializing, picnicing, geocaching in the county park.
- 4:00 PM: Door Prize Drawing. You must be present to win.
- 5:00 PM to 6:00 PM: Party's over. See you next year?
If this year's sweet corn crop ripens on time, I will bring the corn cooker again and provide sweet corn at the picnic. If you like to eat fresh corn-on-the-cob, your RSVP will be extremely important for me to plan how much to bring
If you are planning on coming, log a "will attend" on this page with how many will be coming, boating or biking or hiking, how many boats you're bringing, how many boats you're renting, and whether or not you require shuttle service. Put this cache on your watch list so you will be informed of all the updates.
Click here to view last year's event listing
Click here to see pictures from last year's event
Click here to see the FIRST ANNUAL event listing
Click here to see pictures from the FIRST ANNUAL event
Any questions or suggestions? Send me a private message through geocaching.com with your input.
SEE YOU THERE!!