The miraculous icon of Iviron
How Geocaching Works
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
The monastery of Iveron is dedicated to the memory of the Dormition of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
Situated above a pittoresque inlet on the NE side of the pensinsula, close to a ,sometimes, gushing stream of sweet water.The monastery is founded in the last quarter of the tenthe century by John the Iberian and John Tornikios, most probably these two names represent the same person. The name Iviron comes from Iberian, the last Iberian monk died in the middle of the last century.The courtyard of Iveron contains a chapel dedicated to Virgin Portaitissa . This chapel, close to the former entrance, is dated 1680 and houses the miraculouse working icon. The story goes that icon traveling over seas from Constantonople, came to land at a spot very close the stash location.If you visit the stash, please take some time to walk to the monastery and visit the chapel.
Ybbx va gur ebpx
Loading Cache Logs...
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum