Extremely SideTracked – Corringham
How Geocaching Works
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
A cache to commemorate the Corringham Light Railway
When the Kynoch company set up their explosives factory on a remote marshland site in 1896 they were faced with the problem of transporting workers between their homes and the works. The solution was to build a two and three quarter mile standard gauge railway with a passenger station at Corringham, and also a connection to the L.T.S.R. main line for the transport of goods. The line opened in 1901 and in the early days six passenger trains a day made the twelve minute journey.
For the opening of the line two toast rack carriages were supplied by Kerr Stuart, the first being a 1st/3rd composite (with the first class area enclosed) the second being all 3rd all open. Originally only one carriage was used at a time as the Kitson Locomotive was unable to draw two fully loaded carriages up the incline to Corringham station. These two carriages were added to by 1905 by a 4 wheel all 3rd carriage of LTSR origin. During the 1st world war three more of these carriages where acquired due to a further influx in staff to Thames works.
In its later years the CLR was owned by the Mobil Oil Company serving its Coryton Refinery. The last passenger train ran from Corringham station on Saturday 1 March 1952 at 12.20pm and by 12 April of the same year Corringham station and the Corringham branch of the railway were noted as being demolished.
The trees that lined the track as it ran north and curved westward into the station are still present. The cache is placed as close as I could get it as the surrounding area is all SSSI
The footpath starts in the corner of the church hall car park through a picket gate next to a five bar gate. For a longer walk access can be gained via the footpath signposted Iron Latch at the bottom of Wharf Rd.