As this is our first cache, comments & critics are welcome!
The cache is NOT at the given coordinates!
The cache contains only a logbook, so bring your own pen with you!
To find the cache you DO NOT HAVE to climb over any security barriers!
Update 07.05.2011. All logs containing just "TFTC", "PPS" or other nonsense shorter than 20 characters, will be deleted. Thanks!
The Vansu Bridge (Latvian: Vanšu tilts) is a cable-stayed bridge that crosses the Daugava river in Riga, the capital of Latvia.
It is one of five bridges crossing Daugava in Riga. It is 595 meters long, the bridge’s ferroconcrete pylon (or, the tower) is 109 meters high. The bridge was built during the Soviet period and opened to public use in 1981 as the Gorky Bridge (Latvian: Gorkija tilts) after Maxim Gorky street.
Every day the Vansu Bridge is being crossed by more than 55 thousand cars, which equals in about 28% of all traffic crossing the river Daugava.
The Vansu Bridge is famous for the fact, that at least nine people have attempted and even managed to climb it till the top of the 109 meter-high pylon. The first man who did this on the 4th of June, 2002, demanded four eclairs with white filling and mineral water.The same man climbed the Vansu bridge for the second time on 10th of July, 2002, this time demanding ten eclairs. Unfortunately he didn’t get any.
Another attempt of climbing the pylon of the Vansu Bridge was on the 30th of August, 2009 and it was successful. The 21 y.o. climber spent more than four hours on top of the bridge, this resulting in notable traffic jams in the center of the Riga city.
Updated on June, 2012. The last attempt of climbing the pylon of the Vansu Bridge was on the 7th of June, 2012. A 30 y.o. man climbed to the top of the pylon in about an hour and deliberately jumped off the pylon afterwards. This was the first time when climbing the pylon results in a lethal outcome.
To find the cache you will have to take a little walk to find something and to count something.
So - here is the task:
* What is the total number of round objects (one of them shown in the image No.1)? A
* What is the missing digit in the image No.2? *** Since the road sign has disappeared, the value is the same as "A". B
* What are the missing digits in the image No.3? Imanta -C, Jurmala - D
* How many red lights are there on the ferroconcrete pylon/tower? E
* What is the number of objects visible in the image No.4?
- objects heading to the left bank of the river - F,
- objects heading to the right bank of the river - G.
* How many steps are leading to the Vansu Bridge (image No.5)? H
*What are the missing digits in the image No.6? Kipsala - I, Bolderaja - J
* How many ferroconcrete blocks (image No.7) lead to the top of the Vansu Bridge's pylon/tower (equal on both sides)? K
*What is the missing digit in the image No.8? L
* How many objects (shown in the image No.9) are there on the left side (Kipsala, Bolderaja) of the Vansu Bridge's pylon/tower? M
Once you have found the answers to all the questions, solve the following puzzle:
U = (M+F-K)/L
V = (F-E)2-H-D
W = (H-F)/(M-F)
X = I*L+A-G+B
Y = (M+K+J)/(C*I - I)
Z = (D*A)/(H-I*E)
The cache coordinates are N 56° QR.STU E 024°VW.XYZ
You can check your answers for this puzzle on Geochecker.com