July 27, 1811: The Society for Theological Education met in Portland to establish a center for religious study - From which event, the Bangor Theological Seminary remains the only such accredited institution in Northern New England.
February 25, 1814: The Bangor Theological Seminary receives its charter.
May 5, 1814: Initially called the Maine Charity School, the board of trustees first met in Montville.
1816: The Seminary opens, originally located in Hampden with a three-year agreement to use Hampden Academy.
July 8, 1819: Isaac Davenport donates a seven acre parcel at the intersection of Hammond and Union streets in Bangor, to the Seminary. For the next five years the Seminary had a semi-nomadic existence within Bangor, with professors renting their own apartments and students boarding with private families. During this time, the Seminary rented the building on the corner of Water and Main Streets - Coincidentally the future home of the Bangor Masonic Temple which burned down on January 15th, 2004.
1824: The Seminary erects its first chapel, in the yard of the Hamlin house.
1828: The Seminary builds the Commons house, which accommodates 26 students, and later, two professors.
March 29, 1829: The first chapel burns to the ground.
1833: Construction begins on the dormitory, which contained academic space, a library, a makeshift chapel, and housed 64 students.
June 10, 1858: The cornerstone of the present chapel goes in the ground. Construction takes one year and its dedication coincides with the next year's graduation ceremony.
Fall, 1895: The Seminary builds the current gymnasium, originally a standalone building from the chapel.
(most of the 20th century passes uneventfully)
1986: The Ruth Rice Hutchins Center connects the chapel with the gymnasium into a single building
June 29, 2009: The Bangor Masonic Foundation purchases (most of) the former Bangor Theological Seminary campus.
May 1, 2010: After extensive renovations, the new Bangor Masonic hall holds a dedication ceremony and symbolic corner stone laying.
July 31, 2010: The Bangor Masonic hall holds its first Geocaching event, and gets a new Geocache (this one) placed on-site!
Thanks to the following websites for most of the above information:
Update #1: This cache has moved from its intended original location. To enjoy the "short walk" mentioned above, swing by its original location at N44°48.093 W68°46.794.
Update #2: The cache no longer occupies an ammo can, though its new container has roughly the same dimensions and composition.