Callahan Cemetary Traditional Geocache
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
Ammo box hidden near a Historical Cemetary in the Hickory Ridge area of the Hoosier National Forest.
This cemetary was adopted by the Hoosier Back Country Horsemen, but is maintained by both the HBCH and the Jackson County Spurs and Wheels. An other horseman's cache as there are lots of "first to find" goodies for horsey folks. Thanks for checking out one of our favorite places to visit in the Hoosier.
At the start of the war of 1812 there were about 70 families in Jackson Co. When the Indians started fighting with the British and killing settlers, all of the families in Jackson Co. except for twelve families, left. Those twelve families holed up in Fort Vilonia. At the end of the war the Indians were pushed north of what was called the Indian Treaty Line at the northern edge of Jackson Co. This allowed settlement of Jackson Co.
Jesse and Eve Callahan aged 22 and 17 were among those couples. Sometime around 1817 Jesse Callahan bought 160 acres of land in a valley just west of Cornett grove cemetery for $1.25 an acre. Jesse and Eve died around 1865 and had 8 children over their lifetime. Jesse and Eve and most of their adult children are buried in the Callahan Cemetery.
There are at least 25 headstones in the cemetery, most are unmarked flat creek rock, and there are some graves that have no marker. In Jesse's time the main east-west road ran past Cornett Grove on to his farm and forked. The south fork wound through the valley and came out on Hickory Ridge Rd. just north of Norman. The North Fork climbed to the top of the ridge, passing the cemetery, and going along the ridge top to near where the other fork came out just north of Norman, on Hickory Ridge. Sometime around 1900 The Hoosier National Forest was formed and took all the land from Cornett Grove to Norman.
(No hints available.)