Skip to content

<

Quonset Hut

A cache by clcortez Send Message to Owner Message this owner
Hidden : 04/28/2011
Difficulty:
1.5 out of 5
Terrain:
1.5 out of 5

Size: Size:   small (small)

Join now to view geocache location details. It's free!

Watch

How Geocaching Works

Please note Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Geocache Description:


Bem vindo/a a esta cache que lhe dá a conhecer uma original construção, situada na Ilha de Santa Maria, Açores.

O barracão Quonset (em inglês "Quonset hut"), é um tipo de construção provisória que foi muito utilizado pelas forças armadas dos Estados Unidos da América durante a Segunda Guerra Mundial.

O Quonset hut foi uma solução arquitectónica e estrutural que serviu de inspiração para múltiplas estruturas, desde armazéns e habitações, e até a estufas. Atualmente é considerado como um dos conceitos arquitectónicos de maior sucesso e como um marco da capacidade criativa dos EUA na década de 40.

Estas estruturas situam-se junto ao Aeroporto de Santa Maria, pois este teve um papel muito importante na história da Segunda Gerra Mundial.

 

[EN] Welcome to this cache that led her to meet an original building, situated on the island of Santa Maria, Azores.

The Quonset hut (in English "Quonset hut") is a kind of temporary building that was extensively used by the armed forces of the United States of America during the SecondWorld War.

The Quonset hut was an architectural and structural solution that served as inspiration for many structures, from warehouses and homes, and even greenhouses. Currently, he is considered one of the most successful architectural concepts and as a landmark ofcreative ability of the U.S. in the 40s.

These structures are located near the Santa Maria Airport, because this was a very important role in the history of the Second World War.

[PT] A História

No contexto da Segunda Guerra Mundial, em 1941, a Marinha dos Estados Unidos da América identificou a necessidade de dispor de abrigos ligeiros, multi-funções, que pudessem ser enviados rápida e fácilmente a qualquer ponto do mundo e aí pudessem ser montados sem o recurso a mão-de-obra especializada. A idéia inicial foi a de recorrer a abrigos Nissen, um conceito desenvolvido à época da Primeira Guerra Mundial, testado e aprovado em seus aspectos logísticos e operacionais em campanha. Ver artigo: Nissen hut.

Depois de estudar o projeto do abrigo Nissen, a Marinha decidiu que o primitivo projeto britânicos era demasiado complexo, e que a falta de isolamento térmico tornava impraticável a utilização dos mesmos fora das regiões temperadas. Em conseqüência, a Marinha decidiu encarregar dois dos seus projectistas, de redesenhar o projeto, procurando a sua simplificação estrutural e construtiva, assim como a melhoria da habitabilidade.

O primeiro projecto foi entregue pela equipa a 4 de abril de 1941, mas a urgência era tal monta que o processo de produção foi iniciado antes de se dispor de um projecto completo. O primeiro abrigo foi produzido e testado antes de decorridos sessenta dias. O projecto final foi entregue a 15 de maio de 1941, sendo aprovado pela Marinha uma semana depois.

Inicialmente, o nome da nova estrutura foi simplesmente "16' x 36' Hut" ("Abrigo de 16 por 36 pés"), sendo acompanhado por documentação que o descrevia como "Nissen Type Hut for Temporary Aviation Facilities" ("Abrigo tipo Nissen para instalações temporárias de aviação"). Prevaleceu entretanto, a sua designação popular de Quonset hut. Outras fontes referem que, dada a semelhança da estrutura com as tendas longas usadas pelos Iroqueses, o nome "Quonset", também de origem ameríndia, foi bem aplicado, sendo crença comum que se tratou de uma decisão deliberada e não, como realmente aconteceu, um resultado do acaso.

Ainda antes de aprovado o projecto final, a 10 de abril de 1941 o Bureau of Yards and Docks autorizou a encomenda de 2.488 abrigos destinados a bases na Grã-Bretanha e na Irlanda do Norte. Seguiram-se quase de imediato encomendas adicionais de 4.000 e 8.000 unidades, iniciando-se processo que faria do Quonset hut o edifício mais replicado da História.

A 11 de Junho de 1941 foi embarcado no navio Empire Gull, acostado em Quonset Point, o primeiro carregamento de abrigos no valor de 1,2 milhões de dólares norte-americanos. Em menos de um mês tinha sido possível colocar em funcionamento uma unidade de produção que produziria abrigos no valor de 22 milhões de dólares anuais.

Durante o conflito foram produzidos cerca de 170 mil destes abrigos, dos quais 153.200 apenas para as forças navais. No pós-Guerra os abrigos sem função foram vendidos como salvados (inicialmente a 1.000 dólares norte-americanos por unidade) passando a ser empregados em múltiplos usos civis. Dada a dispersão de forças durante a guerra, foram deixados abrigos Quonset em todos os continentes, alguns em lugares tão remotos como o Árctico, o norte de África, a Indochina e as ilhas do oceano Pacífico. Eles se revelaram tão duráveis que muitos milhares ainda se encontram em uso atualmente.

 

[EN] The Story

In the context of the Second World War in 1941, the U.S. Navy of America identified the need for shelters light, multi-function, which could be delivered quickly and easily anywhere in the world and there could be assembled without the use the skilled labor.The initial idea was to use the shelters Nissen, a concept developed at the time of World War I, tested and approved in its logistic and operational aspects of the campaign. See article: Nissen hut.

After studying the project of the shelter Nissen, the Navy decided that the original British design was too complex, and that the lack of insulation made it impractical to use the same outside the temperate regions. As a result, the Navy decided to commission two of its designers, to redesign the project to seek their structural simplicity and constructive, as well as improved housing.

The first draft was delivered by the team April 4, 1941, but the urgency was such magnitude that the production process was initiated prior to having a complete project.The first shelter was produced and tested earlier than sixty days. The final draft was tabled to May 15, 1941, and was approved by the Navy one week later.

Initially, the name of the new structure was simply "16 'x 36' Hut" ("Shed 16 by 36 feet), being accompanied by documentation that described him as" Nissen Hut Type is Temporary Aviation Facilities "(" Shelter Nissen temporary facilities for aviation ").Prevailed however, its popular name from Quonset hut. Other sources report that, given the similarity of the structure with stalls Long used by the Iroquois, the name "Quonset", also of Amerindian origin, was well performed, and the common belief that this was a deliberate decision and not, as actually happened, a result of chance.

Even before the final draft approved, to April 10, 1941 the Bureau of Yards and Docks authorized the commissioning of shelters for the 2488 bases in Britain and Northern Ireland. This was followed almost immediately by additional orders of 4,000 and 8,000 units, beginning the process that would Quonset hut building more replicated history.

The June 11, 1941 was shipped on the ship Empire Gull, docked at Quonset Point, the first shipment of shelters worth 1.2 million U.S. dollars. In less than a month had been possible to put into operation a plant that would produce shelters worth 22 million dollars annually.

During the conflict were produced about 170 000 of these shelters, of which only 153,200 for naval forces. In the postwar function without shelters were sold as salvage (initially $ 1,000 U.S. per unit) going to be employed in multiple civilian uses. Given the dispersion of forces during the war, Quonset shelters were left on all continents, some in places as remote as the Arctic, North Africa, Indochina and islands in the Pacific Ocean.They have proved so durable that many thousands are still in use today.

 

[PT] Características

O modelo original era uma estrutura semicilíndrica com as dimensões de 5 x 11 metros (16 x 36 pés) e um raio de 2,4 metros (8 pés). Os lados eram recobertos por chapas corrugadas (caneladas, chapa ondulada em PT-PT) de ferro zincado, com os extremos fechados por uma estrutura de material, com as portas e janelas, recoberta por contraplacado. O isolamento interior era feito por aglomerado de madeira, revestido a contraplacado. O chão era recoberto com madeira.

Uma das grandes dificuldades técnicas a ultrapassar foi a necessidade de curvar as folhas de aço canelado que formam o recobrimento numa direcção perpendicular ao corrugado, única forma de garantir um bom escoamento da água. Depois de dificuldades iniciais, foi concebido um processo de deformação controlada que permitiu satisfazer esse requisito.

A estrutura era montada sobre uma base de betão, que podia ser substituída, nas situações em que o betão não estivesse disponível, por uma estrutura ligeira de vigamentos e barrotaria em madeira assente sobre estacas.

A evolução do projecto levou a que as dimensões-padrão fossem alteradas para 6 x 15 metros (20 x 48 pés), com um raio de curvatura de 3 metros (10 pés), permitindo uma área coberta útil de 67 m² (720 pés quadrados). Um modelo também muito usado permitia a colocação de uma protecção contra a chuva e a insolação directa de 1,3 m (4 pés) em cada topo. Outras dimensões, menos fabricadas, eram 6 x 12 metros (20 x 40 pés) e 12 x 30 metros (40 x 100 pés), em geral usados como armazéns.

Sendo construídas com uma concepção totalmente liberta de paredes ou suportes interiores, a estrutura era facilmente adaptável permitindo o seu uso como caserna, enfermaria, latrinas ou salas de banho, escritórios, pequenos armazéns ou paióis, cantinas, ginásios ou mesmo como habitações familiares.

[EN] Features

The original model was a semi-cylindrical structure with dimensions of 5 x 11 meters (16x 36 feet) and a radius of 2.4 meters (8 feet). The sides were covered by galvanizedcorrugated (fluted, corrugated iron in PT-PT) Galvanised iron, with the ends closed by astructure of material, with the doors and windows covered with plywood. The inner insulation was done by wood shavings, coated plywood. The floor was covered withwood.
One of the major technical challenges to overcome was the necessity of bending thecorrugated steel sheets that form the coating in a direction perpendicular to thecorrugated only way to ensure a good flow of water. After initial difficulties, has designed a process that allowed controlled deformation satisfy this requirement.
The structure was mounted on a concrete base, which could be replaced, in situations where the concrete was not available, by a lightweight structure of wood beams andjoists resting on piles.
The evolution of the project meant that the standard sizes were changed to 6 x 15 meters (20 x 48 feet) with a radius of 3 meters (10 ft) of usable floor area of 67 square meters (720 square feet ). A widely used model also allowed the placement of aprotection against rain and direct sunlight of 1.3 m (4 feet) on each end. Otherdimensions, less manufactured, were 6 x 12 meters (20 x 40 feet) and 12 x 30 meters(40 x 100 feet), generally used as warehouses.
Being built with a totally free design of interior walls or supports, the structure was easilyadaptable to permit its use as barracks, infirmary, toilets or bathrooms, offices, smallwarehouses or store rooms, canteens, gyms or even as family dwellings.

 

 

[PT] Porquê em Santa Maria?

O projeto de instalação de um aeródromo em Santa Maria foi concebido na Segunda Guerra Mundial, no contexto da campanha submarina desenvolvida pela Alemanha Nazi em 1944. Foi construído por forças dos EUA no tempo recorde de um ano, com o objetivo de minimizar as perdas navais dos Aliados e apressar o fim do conflito. Para esse fim, Vila do Porto viu o seu porto ampliado para receber batelões com os equipamentos necessários às obras de infra-estrutura, assim como instalados os equipamentos de uma estação elevatória de combustível para aviação.

Complementarmente foram erguidas estruturas de apoio diversas tais como estradas asfaltadas, a Igreja de Nossa Senhora do Ar, ginásio, cine-teatro com lotação para mil pessoas, e um hospital no lugar de Santana, com cem leitos, para apoio aos feridos em evacuação do teatro de guerra na Europa. Nas obras foi empregue a mão-de-obra de cerca de três mil trabalhadores estadunidenses e mil açorianos de todas as ilhas. Foi aqui que surgiram os Quonset Hut na ilha, no local onde ainda hoje os podemos encontrar.

O aeródromo foi inaugurado em 26 de Julho de 1945 e operado como uma base aérea logística dos Estados Unidos até ao final do conflito, quando chegou a contar com 500 aviões estacionados em trânsito.

Foi entregue ao Estado Português a 2 de Junho de 1946. Após receber melhoramentos nas pistas, área de estacionamento e instalações do terminal, foi reinaugurado a 28 de Novembro de 1946. A partir daqui os Quonset Hut deixaram de ter a importância vital que tiveram até então, passando a ser usados para habitação de alguns funcionários do aeroporto e alguns para as mãos de particulares. Outros ainda foram demolidos ao longo do tempo, quer devido ao seu mau estado (por falta de manutenção, que foi apenas assegurada até ao abandono dos EUA em 1946), quer por falta de aproveitamento. Podem ver nas imediações do local da cache (para Sul) uma vasta área descampada coberta por lages de cimento e arruamentos que serviam de base para os Quonset Huts. Conta-se que Santa Maria chegou a ter largas dezenas destas construções, hoje são cerca de 10 unidades apenas, ocupadas por particulares.

Entre meados da década de 1940 e meados da década de 1970, o aeroporto teve um papel central nas ligações aéreas através do Atlântico e a economia da ilha ficou dependente, quase em absoluto, das actividades a ele ligadas, primeiro à sua construção, para a qual se deslocaram algumas centenas de trabalhadores da vizinha ilha de São Miguel e de outras ilhas do arquipélago, e, depois, da prestação de serviços ligados ao seu funcionamento e ao centro de controlo do tráfego aéreo no nordeste do Atlântico, que entretanto se instalou na ilha. Foi, nesse período, a única porta de saída por via aérea dos Açores.

O Aeroporto de Santa Maria é um aeroporto civil localizado na Ilha de Santa Maria, nos Açores. Com três pistas, é o que apresenta a pista mais extensa entre os do arquipélago, com 3.048 metros de comprimento.

É sede do centro de operações de controlo de tráfego aéreo na FIR Oceânica de Santa Maria.

 

[EN] Why in Sta Maria?

The project to install an airfield in Santa Maria was conceived during World War II, in the context of the submarine campaign developed by Nazi Germany in 1944. It was built by U.S. forces in a record time of one year, aiming to minimize the losses of Allied naval and hasten the end of the conflict. To this end, the Port Vila saw its port expanded to receive barges with the necessary equipment to the works of infrastructure, as well as the equipment installed in a pumping station for aviation fuel.

In addition were erected support structures as diverse as paved roads, the Church of Our Lady of the Air, gym, movie theater with seating for a thousand people, and a hospital in place of Santana, with one hundred beds, to support the evacuation of wounded theater of war in Europe. In the works was employing the manpower of nearly three thousand American workers and thousand islanders of all the islands. It was here that came the Quonset Hut on the island, the place where even today one can find.

The airfield was opened on July 26, 1945 and operated as a logistics air base in the United States by the end of the conflict when it came to have 500 aircraft parked on the road.
It was delivered to the Portuguese State on June 2, 1946. After receiving improvements to runways, parking area and terminal facilities, was opened on 28 November 1946.From here the Quonset Hut longer of vital importance that had hitherto, and will be used for housing some airport employees and some into the hands of individuals. Still others have been demolished over time, either because of their poor condition (for lack of maintenance, which was only assured until the U.S. withdrawal in 1946), either through lack of use. You can see in the vicinity of the cache location (south of) a wide open area covered with concrete slabs and roads that formed the basis for the Quonset Huts. It is said that Mary came to have tens of these buildings today are only about 10 units occupied by individuals.

Between mid 1940 and mid-1970s, the airport had a central role in air links across the Atlantic and the island's economy was dependent almost completely on the activities connected with him, first to its construction, for which moved a few hundred workers from the neighboring island of San Miguel and other islands of the archipelago, and then the provision of services related to its operation and control center air traffic in the northeast Atlantic, who has now settled on the island . It was during this period, the only exit door by air from the Azores.

The Santa Maria Airport is a civil airport located in Santa Maria island, Azores. With three runways, is the one with the longest runway between the archipelago with 3,048 meters long.

It is the headquarters hub for air traffic control in the Santa Maria Oceanic FIR.

 

Bibliography: http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quonset_hut and http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeroporto_de_Santa_Maria_(A%C3%A7ores)

 

[PT] A Cache

A cache encontra-se escondida perto de uma destas construções, a unica que está abandonada. A porta está semi-aberta, mas se quiserem entrar e explorar o interior desta construção é por vossa conta e risco. A cache está no exterior, junto a um curso de água, p.f. sejam discretos na busca.

Espero que gostem!:)


Esta cache é um tupperware de tamanho small de medidas +/- 10x7x6cm.

Deixe-a exactamente como a encontrou, no mesmo local e bem tapada.

 

[EN] The Cache

The cache is hidden near one of these constructions, the one that is abandoned. The door is half open, but if they want to come and explore the interior of this building is at your own risk. The cache is outside, next to a watercourse, please be discreet in the search.

Hope you enjoy:)



This cache is a tupperware box of small measures + / - 10x7x6cm.

Leave it exactly as found in the same place and well covered.


Ah, e não se esqueça nunca/Oh, and never forget: Cache In Trash Out!


 

 

Additional Hints (Decrypt)

CG: Ab cbagãb baqr n áthn qrfncnerpr, qr ynqb, gncnqn pbz crqenf.
RA: Ng gur ybpny jurer gur jngre qvfnccrnef, sebz gur fvqr, pbirerq jvgu fgbarf.

Decryption Key

A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M
-------------------------
N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|V|W|X|Y|Z

(letter above equals below, and vice versa)



Reviewer notes

Use this space to describe your geocache location, container, and how it's hidden to your reviewer. If you've made changes, tell the reviewer what changes you made. The more they know, the easier it is for them to publish your geocache. This note will not be visible to the public when your geocache is published.