Tribute to Vincent van Gogh(1853–1890)-INEPT Serie
How Geocaching Works
Related Web Page
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
The given co-ordinates are not that of the final. This is a tribute the the Dutch painter Vincent van Gogh.
He was born in 1853, had a relatively troubled life, and died at the age of 37 in 1890.
To find the final co-ordinates you must download a spreadsheet, and find all the names to some of his paintings.
|Vincent made quite a few paintings, and wrote many letters, in Dutch, French and English, most of which were sent to his brother Theo, with whom he had a very good relationship. Some of his letters to his brother explained a lot more about his paintings. Some lines from his letters are revealed in the spreadsheet as you go along.
To get to the final co-ordinates you must download the excel spreadsheet from here: DamhuisClan Excel Quizzes
Once downloaded, all 24 questions must be answered and then the final location of the cache will be revealed.
At this time the spreadsheet does not work correctly with Libre / Open Office. If there is a demand I'll create a ODS file. Please let me know if I should.
As a measurement it took Trish about 2 hours to complete. (She fist had to "understand" how I think)
Image from Wikipedia
|The way the spreadsheet works:
1) Entering a basic word describing the scene, will display a hint as to what text is required.
The first picture one can see a "roof". Entering "roof" into the cell, will display "Hint: Rt" this means the word looked for starts with a "R", it is one word, and also contains the letter "t".
2) When completing one horizontal line of 4 answers, a line from one of his letters will be revealed.
3) Try and answer as many as you can without our good friend Google. (I only knew two!!!)
4) You should easily find all answers using 2 or 3 good web sites.
5) I have made "binding word" such as "the", "in" and "as" in lower case for the hints.
6) Answers are not case sensitive.
7) Before frustration sets in with some answers type in "hint please" and the hint as the spreadsheet requires the information will be displayed.
8) If a letter is in parentheses "()" that word is optional.
9) Accented character must be entered with their English equivalent. (E.g. 'Café' becomes 'Cafe')
10) Make sure there are no tabs, and/or spaces before or after the text you enter.
There are some elements of danger at the final cache location.
1) Be very careful when crossing the road. Best to park at the garage.
2) While searching for the cache you could break an arm or hand. Please be VERY careful.
INEPT = Incredibly Nice Edenvale Puzzle Trail
Chmmyr: Fbzr guvatf zna vf abg fhccbfrq gb xabj. Sbe rirelguvat ryfr gurer vf Tbbtyr.
Svany: Vafvqr fznyy erpgnathyne pbbxrq pynl, haqre uhtr uneq ebpx.
Vs 12 B'pybpx vf uvtu fvqr bs gur uvyy(bccbfvgr gb tnentr), gura nobhg 6 gb 8 zrgref sebz jngre fbhepr ng nobhg 11 b'pybpx, pybfr gb hcevtug obhyqre.