Skip to content

Train Spotter - Riverston Farm Traditional Cache

This cache has been archived.

Ngaambul: No response from the owner within the time requested and as per the original note this cache has been archived. If you wish to replace it please submit a new cache via this link.

Ministro - Matt

More
Hidden : 6/2/2012
Difficulty:
2 out of 5
Terrain:
1 out of 5

Size: Size:   micro (micro)

Join now to view geocache location details. It's free!

Watch

How Geocaching Works

Related Web Page

Please note Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Geocache Description:

This cache is part of the Train Spotter series, and inspired of geoson's love of trains.

Click here for the Complete List of Train Spotter hides

Riverstone station opened in 1864 upon completion of the rail line to Richmond. Until 1992, Riverstone was the terminating point for electric passenger services to and from Sydney. Prior to 1991, passengers would change for a 2 car diesel train to complete their journey to Richmond. In 1991, electrification was completed to Richmond and the train was replaced by a two-car electric set. After an upgrade to the electric supply in 1992, through trains operated between Sydney and Richmond, and Riverstone became an intermediate terminating point. Prior to settlement and colonisation of Australia, the area that was to become known as Riverstone was inhabited by the Darug tribe. Most of these people died due to introduced diseases following the arrival of the First Fleet, and the remainder were largely relocated to government farms and a series of settlements. The Sydney Cove region originally settled in 1788 turned out to be unsuitable for farming, and after a number of years of near-famine in the colony, efforts were made to relocate food production inland to hopefully more climatically stable regions. In 1803 a government stock farm was established in what was to become the Riverstone/Marsden Park area, on the basis of the abundant water supply and good grazing land there. In 1810 Lieut-Col Maurice Charles O'Connell was granted 2,500 acres (10 km²) of land in the district, which he named "Riverston Farm", after his birthplace in Ireland. (The "e" at the end first appeared on railway timetables in the 1860s, apparently a misprint that has become the accepted spelling). Originally, beef cattle farmed in the area were driven overland to the Hawkesbury River for transport by sailing ship to the convict settlement at Sydney Cove. The construction of the Sydney to Richmond Railway line in the 1864 both eliminated the need for this and opened up the region to non-rural development. An important meatworks was established there in 1878, undergoing various stages of rebuilding and expansion until it closed permanently in 1992.

*** Congrats to Gibbo455 and dkmacca on the FTF ***

Additional Hints (Decrypt)

CZT vf pybfr

Decryption Key

A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M
-------------------------
N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|V|W|X|Y|Z

(letter above equals below, and vice versa)