In Victoria, Australia
How Geocaching Works
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
The Harry Clues Park (this is not a clue) at Johnsonville’s waterfront, is the location of GZ. You seek a treasure different to the one that most people here are preparing to encounter (not fishy). It’s slightly over water, but not out of sight. Stealth with a cloak of invisibility, is advisable.
Difficulty rating is high due to the possibility of high muggle activity at times depending on the day and time of year.
BYO a pen and no room for swaps.
A BIT OF HISTORY
The earliest history of East Gippsland belongs to the Aborigines of the Kurnai tribes who inhabited the region as far east as the Snowy River (Orbost and Marlo). This area, with its rivers and coastal lakes, offered a most favourable environment in which to live for hunting and general living to these native folk.
For those of you that have been caching a fair bit in the area will be aware of the endeavours of one Angus McMillan. He is credited with the first exploration of the East Gippsland region. He was sent by Lachlan Macalister (a squatter from the Monaro District of NSW) to look for new grazing areas and access to a potential coastal port on Corner Inlet (around Toora in South Gippsland). Reports of suitable land for grazing on the 15 January 1840, led to a rush of squatters entering into the East Gippsland region between the 1840’s to 1850’s, with leases in remote areas such as the Tambo area being allowed for up to 14 years under the Lands Act 1840. There were allowances for squatters to have pre-emptive rights to then buy part of that land at the end of the 14 years.
This location was a part of the original “Swan Reach” squatter’s run taken up by a Monaro squatter named Octavius Batten Sparkes in 1842. By 1849 the “Squatter’s Directory listed the run as holding 4,000 sheep and no cattle on approximately 16,000 acres. The property passed through various hands until it was bought by John Johnson - after whom Johnsonville took its name.
John Johnson served three (3) terms as the member for Gippsland in the Legislative Assembly from 1857 to 1863. He was popular and well known throughout the region. By 1860 the squatter era was coming to an end and the “Swan Reach” run was broken up into smaller freehold selections as the Victoria went into the “selection era”, where the state was divided into parishes to aid in the development of land titles. In the 1870’s, land to the west of the current Johnsonville town, was selected and set aside for a township. As can be seen, the township did not eventuate on that site (roughly at the turn-off into Harmans Road), 1 mile west of Punt Road. Instead the township developed adjacent to Punt Road and either side of the track from Bairnsdale to Swan’s Reach.
Mr Frederick Smith selected a large tract of land here on the west side of Punt Road, from the Tambo River to the present day highway. In 1877 he established a punt across the Tambo River at the end of Punt Road, to service Metung and surrounding districts. In 1886 he established a Post Office, gave up land for a community hall which burned down in 1925, and the present hall on this same site was re-opened in 1927.
Mr Smith’s punt although not the original one, continued service right up until 1952, with George Jensen being the last operator (his annual Salary was £312 per annum). The original punt was swept away in the 1890 floods, and on two (2) other occasions sunk in the river. This punt and two others were operated by the Tambo Council, but proved a drain and embarrassment, hence the end of the service.
River traffic at the Johnsonville Wharf saw boats loading and unloading goods from further upstream, from around the lakes and from the local district to be moved onwards. A busy ship building business was established. Amongst other industries that flourished in the area, farming along the Tambo included cropping of hops and maize, dairying, and pig-raising. Sheep and cattle have been present since settlement occurred in the region.
In more modern times, the local and now defunct Tambo Shire Council (in 1986) put out a study of developing towns along the Princes Highway. For Johnsonville it was suggested that a policy be developed to concentrate development of the town within the existing township framework, as opposed to allowing it to continue to grow alongside the highway as it was currently doing. This is evidenced today by the way newer housing has been developed closer to the Tambo River.
The GZ is the actual jetty location for the original River Punt.
WHEN LOGGING -
Please log all attempts including **Did not finds** and/or **write notes** when visiting.
**FTF ** Congratulations to Bairnsdale Bandits on their late night find.
Qba’g qebc, vg’f jrg orybj.
Last Updated: on 9/8/2017 5:04:36 PM Pacific Daylight Time (12:04 AM GMT)
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum