How Geocaching Works
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
This cache is only accessible form the river so will only appeal to kayackers approximately 11km round trip.The start point is at S 37degrees 48.847 E 147degrees 35.988 The exit point from the river is a landing spot on the left bank just before the rock barrier that blocks the river. The cache is placed above the flood water level. There is a Special FTF Trophy At this cache.
The Bairnsdale Pumping Station was commissioned in 1888 by the Bairnsdale Shire Council. This was during a period when many growing Victorian municipalities and towns were forced to address issues such as disease, environmental pollution and fire-fighting capability that were the consequence of inadequate or non-existent water reticulation and drainage systems. Bairnsdale citizens drew their supply from temporary tanks in Main Street as the push for construction of a permanent supply gathered momentum in the 1880s. The first phase of the pumping station was designed by engineer John Grainger and water was pumped by steam driven pumps up from the Mitchell River to the 100,000 gallon capacity in-ground brick reservoir and from there flowed by gravity through a pipe to town. An engine driver was housed in a small cottage on site built in 1888. An upgrade to the station in 1906 included installation of a new, larger cylindrical concrete tank with a capacity of 350,000 gallons, designed by (Sir) John Monash's Reinforced Concrete and Monier Pipe Construction Company. At the time this tank was a pioneering example in the State of reinforced concrete construction for water tank construction. In 1935 a dosing shed was added to the tank for chemical treatment of the water supply. A new cylindrical, concrete pumphouse was also added in 1906, which initially housed a steam driven pump but from 1926 housed a pair of newly invented electrically powered X-pumps. A reinforced concrete water tower was also built in Main Street in 1926-7. The water tower is 100 ft high with a capacity of 80,000 gallons and was constructed by civil engineer Svend Haunstrup. The tower enabled greater and more consistent water pressure to be delivered to Bairnsdale. A pier with intake pipes survives on the bank of the Mitchell River, and immediately downstream of the 1906 pumphouse is a rubble-stone salt-water barrier to prevent saline tidal water entering the system and damaging the pumps. How is it significant? Bairnsdale Pumping Station is historically and scientifically (technologically) significant to the State of Victoria. Why is it significant? Bairnsdale Pumping Station is of historical significance as the most intact example in Victoria of an early municipal pumping station. The site is layered with an unparalleled collection of machinery, buildings and tanks that present the changing technologies of municipal water supply since the 1880s. The two key phases of the development of the pumping station were designed by leading engineers, John Grainger and John Monash. Bairnsdale Pumping Station is scientifically (technologically) significant for its ability to demonstrate changes in water delivery technology from the 1880s. Specifically it contains information on the evolution of pumping, tank construction and water treatment. Survival of X pumps in situ is not known elsewhere in Victoria. The 1906 tank is significant as the earliest known Monier-type reinforced concrete construction tank in Victoria. This information was courteous of http://www.onmydoorstep.com.au/heritage-listing/11691/bairnsdale-pumping-station
3 zrgerf yrsg bs pbbeqf oruvaq gerr
Loading Cache Logs...
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum