Church Micro 3233... Kimbolton St Andrew
How Geocaching Works
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
A nano tube
The church of St. Andrew consists of a chancel, north chapel, south chapel, north vestry, nave, north aisle, south aisle, west tower and south porch. The walls are of rubble and pebble rubble with stone dressings, except that the south wall of the chancel is of red brick. The roofs are covered in lead.
The church is mentioned in the Domesday survey of 1086, but the oldest existing portion is the north arcade of the nave which dates from the middle of the 13th century; this indicates a nave of the same size as the present. In the last quarter of the 13th century, a south aisle and arcade were added. About 1300, the chancel and chancel arch were rebuilt and, a few years later, the north aisle and arcade were rebuilt for the foundations of a 14th century diagonal buttress were found when the north-west corner was underpinned in 1921. Quite early in the 14th century, the tower was built and the clearstory was added to the nave about 1370. At the end of the 15th century, the south aisle was rebuilt and the porch and south chapel added. The north aisle was rebuilt and the north chapel added about 1500, the chancel being largely rebuilt at the same time.
The south wall of the chancel was rebuilt in the 18th century. In 1748, the roofs of the chancel, the two chapels and the nave were out of repair. In 1787 a new beam was inserted in the nave roof, and another was inserted in 1841. The vestry was rebuilt in 1847, and the chancel was reroofed again in 1853. About the same time, the Montagu Vault was formed in the north chapel, a small porch for access to it being added some 40 years later. The whole church was restored in 1881-2, and the spire in 1903. The present Lych-gate is a modern addition, erected in 1929. The roofs of the present nave, aisles and chapels were restored in 1930-1, and the north chapel was refurbished in 1963 in memory of Phyllis Vernon Kilby.
In the north wall is a 20th century window in memory of members of the Carter family, whilst the US Army Air Force's connections with Kimbolton during the 2nd World War are commemorated by a tablet near the north chapel screen.
“If anybody would like to expand to this series please do, I would just ask that you could let Sadexploration know first so he can keep track of the Church numbers and names to avoid duplication.
There is also a Church Micro Stats page found via the Bookmark list”
va gur purieba
Loading Cache Logs...
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum