The first railway station in Woking opened in 1838, when the line linking London with the port of Southampton was constructed.
The line was first proposed in 1830 - one of the first in the south of England - and work began in 1834. When the station first opened it was the end of the line; Basingstoke was reached in 1839 and Southampton in 1840. In 1845 the Guildford Branch Railway opened and Woking became an even more important junction fourteen years later when the line linked with Portsmouth, via Godalming and Havant.During the 1840's, London's churchyards were becoming full, and it was suggested that sparsely populated areas with good transport links to the capital should be used for cemeteries. In 1854, 400 acres of land was bought at Brookwood to be used as a national cemetery and the railway was used to transport London's bodies to the cemetery during the night.
When the station first opened there were five trains each way, seven days a week. The station's grand entrance was built on the south side of the line to serve the original town and still remains today. However most people now use the less prominent north-side exit, as it faces onto the 'new' town centre.
Currently managed by South West Trains, Woking Station has 6 platforms and it is a major gateway with connections to London, the south-west and the south coast. London Waterloo can be reached in 25 minutes, with trains running at least every 15 minutes throughout the day.
This is a busy area at most times of the day so please be aware of muggles when retrieving, signing and replacing the cache. It is by a busy road with limited pavement space, so is not recommended for children.
Thanks and enjoy.