Welcome to Alton, Utah!
In Utah, United States
How Geocaching Works
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
Jonathan Heaton, who became known as "the father of Alton," owned the land known as Oak Flats. He hired Lysander Porter to survey the land into nine ten-acre blocks, dividing each into four lots or thirty-six two-acre lots. Jonathan donated the central block for the community's town square. The first house in town came in the winter of 1907 when James Glover moved his sink valley ranch house three miles up the valley into the newly established town site. The move began by placing the house on two logs used as runners chained to twenty-four of the community's best horses. After ten days of hard labor in four feet of snow, the home came to rest on the chosen lot. Ira Heaton built the first new home in 1908.
The town of Alton, named after a Norwegian fjord town that had similar sever winters and high altitude, was dedicated by Apostle Francis M. Lyman in the newly completed one room school house on Saturday, September 1, 1908.
Va gur ohfurf oruvaq gur fvta.
Last Updated: on 10/27/2017 7:19:06 AM Pacific Daylight Time (2:19 PM GMT)
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum