Skip to Content

<

Savikoski

A cache by Achilles_girls Send Message to Owner Message this owner
Hidden : 07/25/2013
Difficulty:
1.5 out of 5
Terrain:
2 out of 5

Size: Size: small (small)

Join now to view geocache location details. It's free!

Watch

How Geocaching Works

Please note Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Geocache Description:

Sijaintipaikka on Savikosken kaunis vanha koskimiljöö myllyineen. Kuvavihje alla.

The cache is located by the Savikoski rapid and its charming old mill milieu. Picture clue below.


PERUSTIETOJA

- Aivan kätkön tuntumaan pääsee tarvittaessa autolla, mutta myös vaellus (esim. Suonenjoentieltä) metsäteitä ja polkuja pitkin on mahdollinen.

- Rakennuksiin ei ole tarvetta (eikä lupa) mennä sisälle. Kunnioitathan asukkaiden yksityisyyttä.

- Piknikpöytää ja tuoleja saa käyttää. Viethän roskat mukanasi.

- Yksityisalue, mutta maanomistaja on juonessa mukana, joten jästivaara on pieni.

- Kuvavihje jutun lopussa

 

THE BASICS

- You can get right to the cache by car, but a hike through the woods (e.g. from Suonenjoentie) along the forest roads and trails is also possible.

- It is not necessary (or permitted) to enter the buildings. Please be mindful of the privacy of the inhabitants.

- The picnic table and chairs may be used freely. Please don't litter. 

- Private land, but the landowner is in on it, so few muggles around.

- Scroll further down for a description of the site in English and a picture clue

 


Savikosken mylly ja saha

Vesistö

Savikosken vesistö kuuluu Rautalammin reittiin. Savikoski saa vetensä Hirvijärvestä sekä Ylä- ja Ala-Muuratjärvestä ja laskee Virmasveteen. Keskimääräinen vesimäärä, joka koskesta virtaa, on n. 3m3/s mutta saattaa paisua kevättulvien aikaan jopa 11m3:iin. Putouskorkeus on 3,4 m.

Savikosken varhaiset vaiheet

Ei ole tiedossa, milloin vesivoima on ensimmäisen kerran valjastettu Savikoskella pyörittämään myllyä, mutta jo isojaon aikaan 1777 Savikoskelle on merkitty jakokunnan yhteinen myllypalsta.

Vuonna 1839 majuri Gustaf Aminoff osti koskiosuudet ja jätti syyskäräjillä Kuopion kihlakunnanoikeuteen anomuksen perustaa Savikoskelle sahan, jonka yhteydessä toimisi myös viljamylly. Aie ei ymärrettävästikään  innostanut lähialueiden muita sahanomistajia; anomuksesta valitettiin, ja se kiersi byrokratian rattaissa kuvernööriä ja keisarillista senaattia myöten. Muutamaa vuotta myöhemmin saha ja mylly kuitenkin saattoivat aloittaa toimintansa.

Saha vaihtoi useampaan otteeseen omistajaa 1800-luvulla ja 1900-luvun alkupuolella, toisinaan konkurssien ja oikeusjuttujen saattelemana. Majuri Aminoffin sahalupaan oli kuulunut velvollisuus jauhaa maksutta lähiseudun talollisten viljat, mistä myöhemmät sahanomistajat yrittivät päästä eroon. Myllystä tulikin myöhemmin ns. tullimylly, missä jauhatus maksettiin pääasiassa viljalla.

Sahanhaltian aika

Saha- ja myllytoiminta olivat palonarkaa puuhaa entisinä aikoina, sillä koneisto tai jauhinkivet saattoivat iskeä kipinän, josta jauhopöly tai sahajauhot syttyivät herkästi tuleen. Rakennukset paloivatkin muutamaan kertaan 1800-luvun kuluessa.

1870-luvulla jauhomylly sijaitsi kosken itärannalla ja saha oli kolmikerroksinen, lautaseinäinen, punaiseksi maalattu rakennus länsirannalla, nykyisen myllyn paikalla. Sahan alimmassa, miltei pimeässä kerroksessa sijaitsivat nelimetrinen vesiratas, koneisto sekä kivikiukaat, joita lämmitettiin kovilla pakkasilla, jotteivät rattaat jäätyisi. Lapsia peloteltiin myös kertomuksilla pohjakerroksessa asuvalla sahanhaltia Intikalla, kenties jotteivät he uskaltautuisi turhan lähelle vaarallista koneistoa, pyöriä ja hihnoja.

Ylimmässä kerroksessa sijaitsivat sahat. Sahajauhot varisivat tai lakaistiin sieltä  keskimmäiseen kerrokseen, josta naiset kuljettivat ne suurissa pärevakoissa siltaa pitkin kosken yli etäämmällä sijaitsevalle sahajauhopaikalle – olihan sahajauhojen joutuminen vesistöön sakon uhalla kielletty. Aina eivät omistajat tosin olleet määräyksen suhteen tunnontarkkoja, ja myöhemmin sahajauhoja varastoitiinkin myös aivan joen äyräälle. Vielä 1950-luvulla olivat kosken itärannan sahajauhopakat paikallisten lasten mieluisa leikkipaikka.

Sahattavat puut otettiin alkuaikoina lähimetsistä, mistä niitä riittikin useiksi vuosiksi. Myöhemmin tukkeja kuljetettiin lautoissa pitkienkin matkojen päästä Keiteleen ja Pielaveden pitäjistä. Saha tuotti erilaista puutavaraa, mukaan lukien polttopuuta Sourun rautatehtaalle, mitä tultiin hakemaan kesäisin proomuilla eli ”parkoilla”. Proomuja hinasi siipiratasalus Lintu. Puutavaraa kuljetettiin myös maanteitse hevospelillä, ja 1870-luvulla tovin verran myös maantiehöyryveturi ”Annikin” avulla, mutta tämä kokeilu jäi lyhytikäiseksi veturin suistuttua Saitanjärveen. Syypääksi väitettiin veturiin kiivennyttä naista, joka oli peukaloinut veturin koneistoa ja saanut sen liikkeelle tuhoisin seurauksin, jolloin hän oli myös itse hukkunut. Myöhemmin sukeltajat nostivat veturin, mutta maantiejuna ei enää palannut käyttöön. Se oli hidas, kallis ja pelotti hevosia.

Tukkeja säilytettiin kosken alapuolisessa lahdessa ja järven lahdelmissa. Paikkakuntalaiset saivat ilmaiseksi tai nimellistä korvausta vastaan käydä keräämässä jätepuut, säleet ja sahajauhot, kunhan vain veivät ne tarkoin roskineen. Kaikki lähiseudun aidat olikin tehty sahalta ylijääneistä pinnoista ja rimoista, ja sahajauhoja käytettiin eristeinä taloja rakennettaessa.

Palkanmaksu sahan työntekijöille suoritettiin tehdyn työn mukaan, repsikoille vähemmän kuin terämiehille. Työväelle jaettiin kahden viikon välein palkkaa vastaava osuus jauhoja, suoloja, kahvia, sokeria, sikuria, maltaita, mannaryynejä (joista keitetyn puuron sanottiin olevan paikallisten herkkuruokaa), suolakalaa, sarkaa, aivinaa, nahkaa ja tupakkaa. Joulun alla ”pajakkapäivänä” jaettiin myös ilmaiseksi talikynttilöitä.

Sahan alueen pellot olivat kivisiä ja olivatkin alkuun vuosikaudet luonnonniittyinä. Myöhemmin peltoja ryhdyttiin ankaralla työllä ojittamaan ja perkaamaan kivistä, joita upotettiin järveen ja syviin kuoppiin. Myös itärannan suo vallitettiin ja kuivattiin. Pelloilla kasvatettiin heinää ja viljaa, ja maanviljelystyön tarkoituksena oli myös tarjota sahamiehille sekä heidän vaimoilleen ja lapsilleen töitä myös silloin, kun sahan toiminta oli hiljaista veden vähyyden tai alhaisen kysynnän vuoksi.

Leskiemäntä sahan johdossa

Mylly ja saha paloivat 1890-luvun alussa, ja omistaja Henrik Makkonen kuoli pian tulipalon jälkeen, jolloin saha siirtyi hänen leskelleen Maria Makkoselle. Tämä oli tuolloin 40-vuotias kymmenen lapsen äiti, jonka vanhin lapsi oli 23-vuotias lakitieteen ylioppilas ja nuorin vain kolmevuotias äidin ryhtyessä johtamaan toimintaa. Maria Makkonen rakennutti uuden sahan ja nykyisinkin kosken länsirannalla seisovan myllyn ja johti toimintaa vuoteen 1915 saakka. Häntä kuvailtiin pieneksi, pyyleväksi, liikkeissään ripeäksi ja luonteeltaan iloiseksi savolaisemännäksi, jonka johtamana saha menestyi. Lapsista useampi sai yliopistokoulutuksen, ja heidän perustettuaan perheensä oli Savikoskella kesäisin vilskettä, kun lapsenlapset saapuivat vierailemaan Maria-mummon luona. Ensimmäisen maailmansodan sytyttyä Makkoset päättivät luopua sahatoiminnasta, mutta kauppakirjoihin sisällytettiin oikeus paitsi Maria Makkoselle asua edelleen tilan rakennuksissa, myös perillisille ja lapsenlapsille jatkaa kesälomien viettoa Savikoskella.

Vuodesta 1924 saha on ollut Savikosken Osakeyhtiön omistuksessa. 1920-luvulta lähtien koski tuotti jonkin aikaa myös sähköä Karttulan kirkonkylään. Sahaustoiminta loppui 1956, jolloin sahakoneet myytiin ja saharakennus purettiin.

Nykyinen myllymiljöö

Kosken länsirannalla seisova mylly on rakennettu 1890. Kosken vastakkaisella puolella sijaitseva rakennus on entinen myllytupa, jossa maanviljelijät, jotka toivat jyviä jauhettavaksi myllyyn, saattoivat odottaa jauhatuksen valmistumista. Hivenen kauempana virranmutkassa erottuu puiden lomasta myllärin mökki, jossa mylläri (heistä viimeisimpänä K. Tarvainen) perheineen asui.

Silta on uusittu 1980-luvulla, ja 1990-luvulla purettiin tukinuittoränni kosken keskeltä. Sahatoiminnasta ovat jäljellä vesiturbiinin jäännökset myllyn takana, ja myllyn edustalla seisova ruosteinen sähkögeneraattori muistuttaa ajasta, jolloin koski tuotti sähköä Karttulan kylälle.

Etäämmällä, peltojen keskellä kohoavan mäen harjalla sijaitsee entinen tehtaanjohtajan asunto, jonka piharakennuksissa toimi myös Savikosken Osakeyhtiön konttori sekä lyhyen aikaa 1800-luvun loppupuolella Karttulan ensimmäinen kansakoulu. Tehtaanjohtajan asunto paloi 1938 kivijalkaa myöten poroksi, ja 1943 paikalle siirrettiin Sourulta entinen rautatehtaanjohtajan huvila.

Kaikki rakennukset ovat nykyisin yksityiskäytössä eivätkä ole avoinna yleisölle.


Savikoski mill and saw

Water system

The Savikoski rapid is part of the Rautalampi waterway. The rapid is fed by Hirvijärvi and the Upper and Lower Muuratjärvi, and the water flows into Virmasvesi. The average amount of water rushing through the rapid is approximately 3m3/s, but during the spring freshet it can swell up to 11m3. The height of the fall is 3.4 m.

Early history of the sawmill

It is not known when hydropower was first harnessed at the Savikoski rapid to run a mill, but at least during the Great Land Partition in 1777 the rapid was marked down as a communal mill lot.

In 1839, major Gustaf Aminoff bought the Savikoski rapid and the adjoining land plots and filed in a request at the district court of Kuopio to establish a saw mill, which would also serve as a grain mill. Other saw mill owners in the vicinity were less than enthusiastic; the request was appealed against and subsequently dragged through various levels of bureaucracy, all the way to the governor and the Imperial Senate. A few years later the mills were allowed to start operating.

The saw mill changed hands on several occasions during the 1800s and early 1900s, sometimes accompanied by bankruptcies and lawsuits. Major Aminoff's original licence had obliged him to grind the nearby farmers' grain free of charge, which later owners tried to repeal. The mill became later a so called customs mill, where the grinding was paid for mainly in grain.

Reign of the sawmill elf

In the old days, sawing and milling operations were vulnerable to fire, as the machinery or grindstones could strike a spark which easily spread into the inflammable flour dust or sawdust. The buildings burned down several times during the 1800s.

In the 1870's the flour mill was located on the eastern bank of the river, and the saw mill was a three-storey, board-walled, red-painted building on the western bank, where the current mill still stands. The gloomy bottom floor housed the four-meter water wheel, the machinery and large stone stoves, which were heated during low temperatures to prevent the gears from freezing. Local kids were spooked by scary stories of the sawmill elf Intikka who also recided in the shadows of the bottom floor. Perhaps so that they wouldn't dare to venture too close to dangerous machinery, wheels and belts.

The timber saws were located on the top floor. Sawdust dropped or was swept onto the middle floor, where women transported it in large baskets over the bridge and further away to the sawdust stockpile - the law prohibited sawdust from reaching the waterways on penalty of a fine. Although not all owners were equally conscentious regarding this prohibition, and in later years sawdust was also stored right on the riverbank. The huge piles of sawdust on the eastern bank of the rapids remained a favourite playground for the local children until the 1950s.

Wood was garnered during the early days from nearby forests, which provided enough for many years. Later on, logs were floated over long distances from the Keitele and Pielavesi parishes. The sawmill produced different kinds of timber, including firewood for the furnaces of the Souru iron factory. It was fetched during the summer by barges called "parkka". The barges were towed by a paddlewheel ship called Lintu (Bird). Timber was also transported by horse, and for a short while in the 1870s by a road locomotive called "Annikki". This experiment was short-lived after the train fell into the Saitanjärvi lake. The alleged culprit was a woman who had climbed onboard the locomotive, tampered with the machinery and set it in motion with disastrous consequences, herself ending up drowned as a result. Later, divers rescued the locomotive, but the road train never returned to use. It was a slow, expensive, and frightened the horses.

Logs were stored in the bay below the rapid and other lake inlets downstream. Local people were allowed to collect leftover timber, slats and sawdust free of charge or for a nominal fee, as long as they meticulously removed all the litter. All nearby fences were made of leftover slats and laths, and sawdust was used to insulate houses.

The sawmill workers were paid according to the amount of work they put in, although the sawhands received less than the skilled "blade men". The workmen received every fortnight their salary's worth of salt, coffee, sugar, chicory, malt, semolina (the porridge was considered a delicacy by the locals), salted fish, wool, flax, leather and tobacco. On the designated "pajakkapäivä" day before Christmas, tallow candles were also handed out free of charge.

The fields belonging to the sawmill property were rocky and poor, and for years they were left untouched as fallow meadows. Later, they were labouriously reclaimed by draining and removing the rocks, which were dumped into the lake or buried in deep pits. The boggy eastern bank of the river was also embanked and drained. The fields were used to produce hay and grain, and agriculture also provided the sawmill workers, their wives and children work during times when the sawmill needed less manhours due to water shortages or low demand.

The widow running the sawmill

The mill and a sawmill burned down yet again in the early 1890s, and after the owner Henrik Makkonen died shortly after the fire, his widow, Maria Makkonen, took charge of the business. At the time she was a 40-year-old mother of ten children, the oldest of whom was a 23-year-old law student and the youngest only three years old. Maria Makkonen had a new sawmill and grainmill complex built on the western bank of the river, where the mill still stands, and led the operations up until 1915. She was described as a small, plump, cheerful Savonian woman, and the saw performed well under her leadership. Several of her children received a university education, and after they started their own families, Savikoski was bustling every summer as the grandchildren came to visit granny Maria. After the First World War broke out, the Makkonen family decided to abandon the saw mill operation, but their contract of sale stipulated not only the right for Maria Makkonen to remain living on the estate, but also for her progeny to continue spending their summer holidays there.

Since 1924, the Savikoski estate has been the property of Savikosken Osakeyhtiö Ltd. For a period of time around the 1920s, the rapid also produced electricity for the nearby Karttula village. The sawmill operation ended for good in 1956, when the equipment was sold and the sawmill buildings were demolished.

The current mill milieu

The mill standing on the western bank was built in 1890. On the opposite side of the river stands a former mill cabin, the purpose of which was to provide a shelter for the farmers who brought their grain for milling to wait until it was ground. Further upstream, behind the trees is the small miller's cottage, where the miller (the last of them Mr. Tarvainen) lived with his family.

The bridge was renovated in the 1980s, and in the 1990s, the log chute in the middle of the rapid was demolished. All that is left of the sawmill operations are the remains of the water turbine behind the the mill, and the rusty generator in front of the mill recalls the time when the rapid produced electricity for the Karttula village.

Further away, on top of the hill rising in the middle of fields, stands the villa of the former sawmill director. The surrounding buildings also housed the Savikosken Osakeyhtiö Ltd's office, and for a short period of time in the late 1800s, the district's first elementary school. The factory director's house burned down to the foundations in 1938, and in 1943 the former iron factory director's residence was transferred to the spot from Souru.

All the buildings are now in private use and not accessible to visitors.


(FI) Savikoski 1940-50-luvulla. Punainen nuoli osoittaa (jotakuinkin) kätkön suuntaan.

(EN) Savikoski in the 1940-50s. The arrow points (more or less) towards the location of the cache.

Additional Hints (Decrypt)

[FI] Aäxönyn Gneinvfvyyr.
[EN] Ivrj gbjneqf gur Gneinvara'f.

Decryption Key

A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M
-------------------------
N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|V|W|X|Y|Z

(letter above equals below, and vice versa)



 

Find...

164 Logged Visits

Found it 157     Write note 6     Publish Listing 1     

View Logbook | View the Image Gallery of 21 images

**Warning! Spoilers may be included in the descriptions or links.

Current Time:
Last Updated:
Rendered From:Unknown
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum

Return to the Top of the Page

Reviewer notes

Use this space to describe your geocache location, container, and how it's hidden to your reviewer. If you've made changes, tell the reviewer what changes you made. The more they know, the easier it is for them to publish your geocache. This note will not be visible to the public when your geocache is published.