Skip to content

<

Église Saint-Christophe-de-Javel

A cache by Arnokovic Send Message to Owner Message this owner
Hidden : 08/03/2013
Difficulty:
2 out of 5
Terrain:
1.5 out of 5

Size: Size:   micro (micro)

Join now to view geocache location details. It's free!

Watch

How Geocaching Works

Please note Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Geocache Description:

Bienvenue à l'Église Saint-Christophe-de-Javel / Welcome to the Church Saint-Christophe-de-Javel

 

 


L'église-Saint-Christophe-de-Javel est située rue Saint-Christophe dans le quartier de Javel. 

Ce site est desservi par la station de métro Javel - André Citroën.

Commencée en 1926, puis inaugurée le 4 juillet 1930 et bénie le 26 octobre 1930, l'église se présente dans un style moderne grâce à l'emploi du ciment armé moulé utilisé pour les éléments structurels.

Une chapelle en bois, construite à cet emplacement en 1863, fut détruite en 1890, une chapelle provisoire fut utilisée jusqu'en 1898 jusqu'à la construction de l'église en 1926. L'église actuelle est l'œuvre de l'architecte Charles-Henri Besnard. Il employa pour cela des techniques qu'il avait brevetées quelques années plus tôt comme des éléments de ciment armé moulé. C'est la première église construite avec cette méthode.

L'église est dédiée à Saint-Christophe. La peinture murale du chœur, œuvre de Henri-Marcel Magne, le représente entouré de voyageurs implorant sa protection, et de moyens de locomotion modernes (train, paquebot, ballon, avion, automobile), inspirés par les industries de transport du quartier dont les usines Citroën toutes proches. Douze panneaux peints par Jacques Martin-Ferrières retracent sa vie. 

L'église possède également un vitrail de Jacques Grüber et des verres moulés de Max et Jean Braemer.

Le fronton de l'église, en brique et béton, est orné d'une grande statue du saint réalisée en béton, œuvre de Pierre Vigoureux.

 

The church Saint-Christophe-de-Javel is located on rue Saint-Christophe in the Javel area.
This site is served by the Metro Javel - André Citroën.
The construction started in 1926, it opened on July 4, 1930 and  was blessed on October 26, 1930. The church has a modern style with the use of cast reinforced concrete used for structural elements.
A wooden chapel was built on this site in 1863 and was destroyed in 1890. A temporary chapel was used until 1898 until the construction of the church in 1926. The present church was designed by the architect Charles-Henri Besnard. He used the techniques he had patented a few years earlier such as cast reinforced concrete. This is the first church built with this method.
The church is dedicated to Saint Christopher. The mural of the choir is the work of Henri Marcel Magne and you will see Saint Christopher surrounded by travelers imploring his protection, and modern means of transportation (rail, ship, tank, plane, car), inspired by the transportation industries in the neighborhood with the former Citroën factories all around. Twelve panels painted by Jacques Martin-Ferrieres retrace his life. The church also has a window made by Jacques Gruber and molded Max and Jean Braemer glasses.
The front of the church is made of brick and concrete and is decorated with a large statue of  Saint Christopher made ​​of concrete,. It was made by Peter Hale.

Additional Hints (Decrypt)

Puncrnh / Ung

Decryption Key

A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M
-------------------------
N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|V|W|X|Y|Z

(letter above equals below, and vice versa)