Another nice and easy SideTracked cache & dash. Although not at the exact site of the original station due to it now being private land, it is still close being pretty much underneath the viaduct immediately west of the old station. This may cause the GPS to become a little inaccurate but shouldn't be too difficult to find. Wheelchair users may need help finding this one as it is a bit of a stretch to the cache. Please bring your own writing equipment and be careful as it is on the edge of a road with a reasonable amount of traffic coming and going.
An unstaffed station was opened by the Great Western Railway at Bittaford on 18 November 1907 and closed on 2 March 1959. It was situated immediately east of Bittaford Viaduct. There were no goods facilities but Redlake Siding was opened ¾ mile to the west on 10 September 1911. This siding served a large china clay drier which processed clay brought by pipeline from Redlake on Dartmoor; the eight mile long, 3 ft (914 mm) gauge Redlake Tramway was used to carry materials between Redlake Siding and the clay pits.
There are no visible remains of the platform, but original iron tube fencing remains to be seen behind the site of the former London bound platform .The clay drier at Redlake Siding is still intact, now modified for use by an engineering company, despite the siding closing on 7 July 1932.
CONGRATULATIONS TO LAMBS OF CLEEVE FTF 05/09/2013