About Grève D'Azette Station
Grève D'Azette opened on 1st June 1896, replacing George Town which closed the previous day. The station was opened to serve the popular Grève D'Azette beach and the adjacent playing fields and cycle track. The platform which was 225 feet in length was on the up side of the line. The station buildings were of stone and similar to others on the line and consisted of a single storey booking office and waiting rooms and staff rooms alongside a two storey stationmaster's house. A siding was also provided on the up side but this was quickly removed.
Prior to the station being built, trains had stopped when events were being held at the cycle track and playing field. The company provided steps for alighting passengers and later a temporary platform. It was hoped that by opening a station new housing would be attracted to the area. Although the station was still well used during sporting events, the station failed to live up to expectations at other times and initially trains only stopped there by request.
On 7 August 1928 the Jersey Eastern Railway proposed a merger with the Jersey Railway (JR & T); this was rejected by the JR & T board. The Jersey Eastern Railway then approached a Mr Hunter who wanted to acquire a controlling interest and electrify the line; nothing came of this, and the board felt their only option was to close the line and withdraw the bus service from 21st June 1929. The following day the company was placed into voluntary liquidation.
Demolition began in November 1929, with the locomotives and much of the track being shipped to Poland as scrap. Most of the land was sold to landowners whose properties bordered the track.
Today the course of the Jersey Eastern Railway is clearly visible for much of it length on maps and aerial photographs as many of the original boundaries have been retained, although it is harder to follow on the ground.
As for Grève D'Azette, all station buildings have been demolished, but the platform now forms part of the boundary between back gardens and a football field, which can be seen when visiting the cache. You are looking for a nano container.
Please note: The cache can only be accessed via the F.B Playing Fields. It is not accessible from Princess Place or Florence Boot Cottages. Suggested parking coordinates has been provided as a waypoint.