Lords Underground station
Lord's is a disused London Underground station. It opened in 1868 as St John's Wood Road on the Metropolitan & St John's Wood Railway, the first northward branch extension from Baker Street of the Metropolitan Railway (now the Metropolitan Line).
It was renamed St Johns Wood on 1 April 1925 and Lord's on 11 June 1939, referring to the nearby Lord's Cricket Ground.
In the mid-1930s the Metropolitan Line was suffering congestion at the south end of its main route where trains from its many branches shared the limited capacity between Finchley Road and Baker Street. To ease this congestion deep-level tunnels were built between Finchley Road and the Bakerloo line tunnels at Baker Street. The Metropolitan Stanmore services were then transferred to the Bakerloo Line on 20 November 1939 and diverted to Baker Street via the new tunnels.
Lord's was closed and St John's Wood opened nearby on the Bakerloo, now the Jubilee line.
The surface building survived into the late 1960s before it was demolished.
Its close proximity to the main line out of Marylebone has led to proposals to open a new interchange close to the station site. This is not a high-priority project, but tied into a longer-term strategy to consider re-opening former inner-city stations on main lines.
Reports from Transport for London suggest this is not likely to happen in the next 30 years
The silver fire door just by the entrance to the Hotel is the last remaining part of this Station