It was used until August 1941, when all people living in Svalbard was evacuated as an result of the German invasion of Norway. German troops then occupied Longyearbyen until 8 September 1943.
That day operation Zitronella took place, which was an raid on Svalbard lead by the battleships Tirpitz and the Scharnhorst. The Kriegsmarine armada levelled all of Barentsburg and Longyearbyen that day, including the church.
It then took some time before the construction of an new church was started. The reopening of the coal mines had an much higher priority.
So it was in 1956 that the foundation was made, and the new church was ready for opening on 14 August 1958. And here it still stands.
The container is hidden close to the church, under what may be the oldest house still standing in Longyearbyen.
It was built 1911 and was used as an radio station. Later the house was used as post office before moved to the current location.