Water Museum - Reservoir Barbadinhos
How Geocaching Works
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
Schedule | Open from Tuesday to Saturday between the 10:0 and the 5:30 pm (closed for lunch between the 12:30 and the 1:30 pm)
The Museu da Água (Water Museum) is located in Lisbon, Portugal. The museum, the former steam pumping station of Barbadinhos, Lisbon, built in 1880, is in a 19th-century industrial building. The museum features four large steam engines dating from 1880. One has been reconditioned as a working demonstration. The pumps were in use until 1928. The museum also features portions of Lisbon's 1746 aqueduct. In 1990 the museum was awarde
d the Council of Europe Museum Prize. Population growth in the city of Lisbon made que one hair fueled Water Aqueduct Free Waters became Insufficient. In response to shortcomings was built, Between 1871 and 1880, a new provider aqueduct: the Aqueduct Alviela, prepared paragraph Transporting captured water to 114 km north of Lisbon, originate from the springs of River Water Eyes Alviela.
In about hum extinct Franciscan convent, occupied For the religious order of Italian Barbadinhos, Between 1747 and 1834, the final Water Reservoir transported hair Aqueduct Alviela, that was called Reservoir Barbadinhos was installed.
Along the reservoir was built Barbadinhos A lifting unit steam, designed to pump water from the aqueduct Alviela a paragraph City of Lisbon, that opened on 3 October 1880. The THIS Building lifting unit was composed of three bodies: the coal deposit, or Carvoaria, a DAS Zone boilers of steam ea MACHINES Zone.
The "Living Machine" was located in the building of the Upper Zone floors and housed as four steam machines, the French manufacturer E. Windsor & Fils (Rouen, Normandy), acquired in 1876. On the ground floor was in-one " the Pump Room, "where lived as their bombs. Another body was like a five boilers in the designated "the Boiler Room." The Third Corps this building served as coal deposit, Food Pará as boilers and their furnaces.
The building had STILL A chimney outside, 40 meters high and 1.8 meters in diameter inside, paragraph Make an extraction of smoke from coal burning. As many boilers Like a chimney Were demolished in DE 50 DECADE, the twentieth century, after several years of inactivity.
The Steam Pumping Station Barbadinhos been in OPERATION Between 1880 and 1928. CURRENTLY preserves as antigaz MACHINES steam and their bombs, enriching Testimonies of industrial archeology. In 2010 the building of the lifting unit steam was classified As CIP - Joint Public Interest (Decree No. 117/2010 of 14 December).
The building welcomes a permanent Water Museum Exhibition, EPAL Historical Archives and a multipurpose room, with conditions Pará Reception events, temporary exhibitions UO Conference.
Loading Cache Logs...
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum