Skip to content

This cache has been archived.

Defiant.: Not going to replace. So am letting this one go. Free's up the area for something else.

London Calling (Mega-Event) is coming to Central Hall, Westminster 28th August 2021. GC8JAYF

Join the facebook page to stay in touch and for further news as it unfolds Facebook Group
Or visit the Website and shop for more information.


SideTracked - Denham Golf Club

A cache by Defiant. Send Message to Owner Message this owner
Hidden : 12/31/2014
1.5 out of 5
2 out of 5

Size: Size:   small (small)

Join now to view geocache location details. It's free!


How Geocaching Works

Related Web Page

Please note Use of services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Geocache Description:

SideTracked Caches are intended to provide quick Cache-and-dashes at Train Stations.
This is a small Cache hidden near to this Station.

Please ensure the container is placed out of direct sight

Denham Golf Club railway station is a railway station near the villages of Baker's Wood and Higher Denham, Buckinghamshire, England. The station is on the Chiltern Main Line between Denham and Gerrards Cross.

The station was opened in August 1912, at the request of the Golf Club, which had opened the previous year. It is on what was the Great Western and Great Central Joint Railway, which had been opened in 1906. The station was originally called Denham Golf Club Platform, and it was built to serve the adjacent golf club. Between the two World Wars the platforms were lengthened and the station was made a halt. The original "up" platform was on the London side of the road bridge, and made of wood, with an access path connecting to the track leading to the Golf Club. In the 1950s a new concrete "up" platform was built on the Wycombe side of the road bridge, opposite the "down" platform, which was also rebuilt in concrete. At the same time a proposed name change by the as-now British Railways Board to change the name to 'Higher Denham' was rejected.

The station was transferred from the Western Region of British Rail to the London Midland Region on 24 March 1974.

The two waiting rooms are original Great Western Railway "pagoda" shelters. The ticket office, at road level on the down side, was also a pagoda building. Both waiting rooms and the original ticket office have been listed buildings since 27 November 1992, to prevent their replacement by the bus shelter type structures then being installed at other stations on the line. The ticket office was damaged by fire in 2005 and demolished early in 2007. It was replaced with a near replica in 2007, but unlike the original the new building has no clerk's window. The waiting rooms have recently been repainted to match the ticket office.

The original platform lamp-posts were cast iron, marked with the initials "G.W. & G.C. Jt" of the original operator. The lamp-posts were removed when the station lighting — and indeed the whole line — were modernised in about 1991, at about the time as the new Class 165 diesel multiple unit trains entered service.

Additional Hints (Decrypt)

Ynetr 2 gehax gerr nobhg 5 srrg hc, ybbx sbe gur snyyra 40 (EVC Fvta)

Decryption Key


(letter above equals below, and vice versa)