One destination from Sanderstead is East Grinstead, where there is an interchange with a preserved Railway, if you are really lucky you might get sooted whilst retrieving the cache!
The station was opened on 10 March 1884 by the London, Brighton and South Coast Railwayand the South Eastern Railway with their line between Croydon and East Grinstead. The population was around 300, rising to 534 by 1901. An extensive bookstall was on the up platform, and a signal box on the down platform.
The building was weather-boarded, cheap to construct but requiring regular maintenance. It was destroyed by fire in June 1986 and a new brick building, in the opinion of some an unimaginative replacement, opened in September 1987. The signal box closed on 2 November 1985 and was demolished in August 1987. The line from Selsdon to Sanderstead was electrified on 30 September 1935, and electrification of the South Croydon-Selsdon and Sanderstead-East Grinstead sections of line was approved by BR in the early 1980s: South Croydon-Selsdon was electrified in 1984 using some redundant materials from the closed Woodside-Selsdon line, to East Grinstead in October 1987.
Electric trains on the Woodside and South Croydon Railway via Selsdon to Elmers End ran from 1935 until the line closed in 1983; at that time, fewer than 150 people were using the service per day, which ran on weekdays at peak hours to Elmers End.
The typical off-peak service in trains per hour is:
In peak period trains run to and from London Bridge, calling at South Croydon, the next station north.
Services normally use Class 377 Electrostars, with Class 171 Turbostars in the peaks.
The station is staffed until five minutes after the last train. There is a small tea bar at one end of the station which has recently been re-opened during morning peak hours. There is a footbridge between the platforms. The station has been selling second hand books for charity since 2009 and a certificate on display shows how much has been raised. A children's table and chairs have recently been installed.
London Buses route 403 serve the station.