SideTracked – Birkdale Traditional Geocache
Related Web Page
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
Birkdale opened in 1848 as an intermediate station on the Liverpool, Crosby and Southport Railway. It became part of the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway (LYR), on 14 June 1855 who took over from the (LCSR). The Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway amalgamated with the London and North Western Railway on 1 January 1922 and in turn was Grouped into the London, Midland and Scottish Railway in 1923. Nationalisation followed in 1948 and in 1978 the station became part of the Merseyrail network's Northern Line (operated by British Rail until privatisation in 1995). Birkdale is the only station on the line that still has a signal box standing and also the last station before the end of the line Southport station (From Hunts Cross).
The cache is located within a short walking distance of the station, there are lots of short stay parking nearby but Birkdale village can be very busy at times. It has some nice Eateries and Wine bars. You will need to BYOP and tweezers might be useful. Please make sure the lid is replaced securely and also the cache as found.
Please note the cache is not located on Station property.
(No hints available.)