How Geocaching Works
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
The cache is a bison tube , it is not placed at the published co-ordinates , however the village sign is there .
To find the cache look at the sign , on the post of the sign there is a plaque which reveals the time & date that the village sign was ' unveiled ' by Mr & Mrs E.Brooks .
This time & date should be used accordingly :
AB A.M. Cst May D0E0
now go to :
N52 (A+B)(C+D).BE(C-A) W000 (D+C+A)D.C(D+B+A)E
*** PLEASE NOTE : YOU WILL NOT NEED TO GO ONTO THE ROAD ***
Barton Seagrave Village Sign
Village signs is a series of caches based on the ornate signs that depict the heritage, history and culture of the villages that put them up (normally on the village green!).
If anybody would like to expand this series please do. I would just ask that you let Smokeypugs know first so they can keep track of the Village Sign numbers and names to avoid duplication.
The parish of Barton Seagrave contains 1,826 acres of land, and lies between 200 ft. and just over 300 ft. above the ordnance datum. The subsoil is Great and Inferior Oolite and Upper Lias. The river Ise forms part of the western boundary and another stream part of the eastern boundary. The village is on the Kettering and Thrapston road about two miles south-east of Kettering. The church lies on the south side of the road and south-west of it is the site of Barton Seagrave Castle built in the early part of the 14th century by Nicholas Segrave the younger, and is apparently last mentioned in 1433, after which it probably became a ruin. It was surrounded by a moat, and another moat lies to the north of the castle site. Barton Seagrave Hall, lately the property of Mr. George Edward Stringer, but now of the Wicksteed Village Trust, is on the north side of the road. It appears to have been rebuilt in the first half of the 18th century, the date 1725 being on the lead rain-water heads. The house is of two stories, constructed throughout of limestone and roofed with Collyweston slates. The main front faces south and has projecting end-wings with plain gables and a middle gabled porch of two stories with classic doorway. A wing at the east end containing a number of small rooms appears to be older than the rest of the building.
The Kettering and Huntingdon branch of the London Midland and Scottish Railway crosses the parish, the nearest station being at Kettering.
Rear Admiral Horace Hood once lived in Barton Hall as a member of the Hood Family . He was killed on the HMS Invincible during the Battle of Jutland in May 1916, and his name is on the Barton Seagrave War Memorial.
The soprano singer Elizabeth Harwood was born in the village on 27 May 1938, but moved to Yorkshire at an early age.
Loading Cache Logs...
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum