Construction of the Galveston Houston and Henderson (GH&H) Railroad began at Virginia Point on the mainland opposite Galveston Island in 1854. However, the first rail was not laid until 1857 and in 1859 the company finally reached Houston, where it terminated at the corner of Main and McKinney. The route runs along Texas Hwy 3, Old Galveston Road, between Virginia Point and Harrisburg and is still in use today.
Northwest of the cache location the railroad crosses Brays Bayou and about .2 mile to the south is the historic GH&H crossing of the BBB&C railroad. The BBB&C was the first railroad to operate in Texas, commencing operation between Harrisburg and Stafford in 1853. The point where the GH&H Railroad crossed the tracks of the BBB&C Railroad was the first major crossing point of two railroads in Texas.
As years went by, other railroads built across this area creating a rather complicated set of crossings. Around 1903 an interlocking control tower was built to control operations of the crossing complex. Today the tower is gone and some of the rails have been removed. All of the crossing lines are now owned by the Union Pacific, even though some lines are used by the Port Terminal Railway Authority that serves the port of Houston.