The Leeds and Bradford Railway opened on 30 June 1846. At first, there were no intermediate stations, such had been the haste to get the line opened. Temporary stations were quickly provided, including Apperley Bridge, which opened some time during July 1846. A permanent structure followed about a year later. It comprised two platforms, partly covered by an overall roof. The main building ran parallel to the railway on the south side up at road level. This station was originally located on the other side (Leeds side) of the A658 bridge and known as Rawdon and Apperley Bridge. Closed as a result of the Beeching Axe, at about 9.30pm on 20 March 1965. The station handled parcels by passenger train right up to the final day. The delivery area was then transferred to Guisley station. The original station was accessed from steps from the road overbridge.
The station even had a mention in the 1861 Bradshaws Railway Guide. It details the George and Dragon Hotel, which still exists, but as a “Cheap eats” type pub, and is no longer a hotel. Also mentioned is Woodhouse Grove School as “A noble edifice for the education of the Children of Wesleyan Ministers”
The station was re-opened on December 13th 2015, and receives Class 333 trains every 30 minutes during the day to both Leeds and Bradford. .
Many more trains pass through the station without stopping, both passenger and freight, with the occasional steam train heading towards the infamous Settle to Carlisle line