This “chapel” so to speak, has an interesting history.
It was first recorded in 1329 as Wolvedon.
The area of Golden, and the Manor of Golden was once owned by the Wolvedons, John and Cecilia.
The south aisle of the church is known as the Golden Aisle, from its association with the old family of the Wolvedons of Golden. The lane that leads to the doctors surgery and St Georges playing field, which you then turn left and follow the one way system, carry on down the lane, crosses the A390, and goes down the lane opposite leads to Golden.
Cecilia Wolvedon died in 1514. When John Wolvedon died in 1524, their estates were split between their three daughters. The graves of both are inside Probus church.
The eldest daughter, Jane inherited the Manor, and she married John Tregian, from St Ewe. Between them, they demolished the Manor and built the building which you can see now.
A Cornish historian tells how, on the death of John Wolvedon, "they demolished the venerable mansion of the Wolvedons and erected a building that was then both modern and elegant, in its stead.'
Leland, the antiquary, visited Cornwall in 1537 and 1540. He notes in his Itinerary: "Mr. Tregian hath a maner place richly begon and amply but not endid, caullid Wolvedon alias Golden."
Another part of this has the following notes:
Outbuildings are seen on the north or left side, and facing these, tranquil and unimposing, stands Golden Farm, all that remains of the elegant home of the Tregian family. The remnant of the old mansion is distinguished from modern additions by its mullioned windows and arched Tudor entrance with a massive iron-studded door. The principal room is spacious, and has two vast fireplaces, one of which is surmounted by a fine stone chimney-piece of Tudor design showing four tritons carved in bold relief. A large grass covered space, probably the former quadrangle, lies between the house and the road. On the other side of the road stands a group of farm buildings, constructed of old material, with sculptured stones and curious little windows set incongruously in the walls. The most interesting of these buildings is the principal barn, which local tradition has claimed—wrongly, if I mistake not—as the Tregian domestic chapel. The exterior may explain this supposition, for the south side of the barn shows traces of two Gothic windows—now filled in with stone—and there is a Gothic arch over the entrance. Gargoyles project from the walls, and there are two angel corbels with shields bearing coats of arms. An ancient stone sundial with Roman numerals surmounts the doorway. Some of these decorations, however, are in keeping with those of a fifteenth or sixteenth century mansion.
The immensely thick walls, together with many lintels, frames of doors and windows now blocked up, imply that this was part of a well-constructed dwelling-house. In the absence of definite knowledge, it is suggested that when John Tregian designed his new "maner place," he built it on the opposite side of the road, where the house now stands, but kept part of the old Wolvedon mansion and adapted it to the needs of his stabling and farm. One of the armorial shields referred to is damaged; the other shows the Tregian crest, an eagle displayed holding in its dexter claw a sword. Part of the blade is missing, but the hilt remains.' We have said that the barn is called "the chapel." In Tudor times, however, the domestic chapel formed part of the house, and it is likely that this was so at Golden. Several Cornish histories show clearly that the present barn and the old chapel were separate buildings. In 1804 we read of "a venerable gateway and the adjoining chapel," and of a ruin known as "the chaplain's apartment on the right of the gateway."' Sixteen years later C. S. Gilbert writes: "Nearly the whole house and chapel are destroyed, but the detached buildings exhibit several effigies carved in stone and a curious dial of an old clock."
The couple had a son, Francis Tregian.
When Francis owned the home, it was the scene of the arrest of Cuthbert Mayne.
Cuthbert Mayne was a Catholic priest, who was convicted of practicing Catholicism in a time when it was declared illegal. (The Act of Supremacy 1534 declared the English crown to be 'the only supreme head on earth of the Church in England' in place of the pope.)
This took place on June 8th, 1577, when Richard Grenville, Sheriff of Cornwall, came from Truro to Golden with eight or nine Justices of the Peace and over a hundred men, well-armed. He announced that he must search the house, but as he had no warrant, Mr. Tregian objected. Grenville, however, forced an entrance and made his way straight to the priest's chamber. Then followed the arrest and the end of Cuthbert Mayne's priestly mission. He was carried first to Truro, then to Launceston, and endured every kind of cruelty until his execution five months later.
A link for more information on Cuthbert is here.
He did not suffer alone, for sixteen persons then visiting Golden were also taken to Truro, and a further fifteen were arrested soon afterwards.
Francis Tregian never saw his home again. He was barbarously treated in various prisons during twenty-eight years, and died in exile.
To find the cache, you must find and work out the following:
Date on the left side of the building = ABCA
Number of protruding stones directly above the sundial = D
Number of filled in windows on the front of the building = E
Number of narrow windows on the front of the building = F
Number of circles on the sundial = G
Checksum = 34
N: 50 AC.(A-F)(F)(A+D)
W 004 (C-E)(D+F).(B)(G-D)(B-E)
Congratulations to Cornish_piskey80 and Portloe1 on their joint FTF