York Road is a disused station on the London Underground, located between King's Cross and Caledonian Road, with its entrance at the corner of York Road, now York Way, and Bingfield Street. It opened on 15 December 1906 and was one of the original stations on the Great Northern Piccadilly and Bromptin Railwway (GNP&BR), the precursor to today's Piccadilly Line.
Unlike most other GNP&BR stations, the lifts descended directly to platform level. The platform layout is almost identical to Caledonian Road, but the two tracks form very gentle convex curves with respect to bases of the lift shafts between the tracks.
Being sited in a poor industrial area, the station saw little use, and Sunday services were withdrawn from 5 May 1918. The station remained open for weekday traffic only until 19 September 1932 when it was closed permanently.
Now the area is undergoing a massive transformation with the development of the land behind King's Cross station and there were calls a few years ago for the station to be re-opened although these were not cost effective and did not proceed.
*** Congratulations to Nickie! for a very swift FTF! ***