REALLY SideTracked - Ynyslas
How Geocaching Works
Related Web Page
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
Ynyslas (Welsh pronunciation: [enis-las], meaning "green island") station was a wayside station on the Aberystwyth and Welsh Coast Railway (Cambrian Railways from 1865 and now known as the Cambrian Coast Line) between Machynlleth and Aberystwyth; this section of line and the station opened in 1863.
A temporary station had been opened at Ynyslas by 1867, with sidings serving the riverside wharves.
At that time railway employees included one station manager, plus a foreman and two timber loaders.
In 1869, the Western Counties Manure Company was refused permission to build a manure shed close by. However, in 1871 cattle pens and a landing stage were authorised at the cost of £40.
These were completed by January 1872. The construction of a permanent station was authorised in January 1872, but by August 1873 it was reported that the buildings 'will not stand through the winter'.
The top storey of the house was removed as a cost of £150 to prevent further subsidence.
A rearrangement of the sidings and signalling system was approved in 1888.
In 1896, the platforms were lengthened.
In 1926, Great Western Railway paid £345 to renew the up-line platform.
This is a 1934 map of the area.
In 1938, the goods and parcels service was withdrawn.
At the end of 1944, repairs to both platforms were authorised. These had been completed by May 1945.
Ynyslas Station was closed 14th June 1965 although a through single line is still in use today.
The station and platform have been demolished and the rubble is reported to have been used to build up the ground behind the boatyard on the west bank of the Leri.
Onfr bs cbfg ba yrsg bs xvffvat tngr