This wherigo is a bit of fun. You will need to complete the short walk to gain the final cache location
History of the Halt
Shakespeare Cliff Halt is a private halt station on the South Eastern Main Line. It is located to the western end of the Shakespeare Cliff tunnel. It never appeared in any public timetable and has been used successively by railway staff, coal miners, the military and Channel Tunnel workers.
In 1913, the South Eastern and Chatham Railway opened a halt primarily for the use of miners at Dover Colliery, who worked the mine until its closure in 1915. At least from 1920, the station was used by the Admiralty, as well as by railway staff who lived nearby in railway cottages.
For some years a watchman was based at the station and a zig-zag path (which can be see today but not accessed) was provided to give access from the top of the cliff.
The British Army used the station during the Second World War to serve a nearby military camp, and medical staff are also recorded as having used the halt in the post-war period.
Shakespeare Cliff Halt was given a new lease of life when work began again on the Channel Tunnel. The last use of the halt was by those constructing Samphire Hoe Country Park on the site of the Tunnel workings and in more recent years the halt has fallen into disuse since completion of the Channel Tunnel in 1994, with the nameboard gone, although its concrete supports remain.
Cartridge can be downloaded from here: