About Ryde Esplanade Station
There is no cache at these co-ordinates
Ryde Esplanade railway station serves the town of Ryde on the Isle of Wight, and forms part of the Ryde Transport Interchange. Located on the sea front, it is the most convenient station for the majority of the town. Ryde Esplanade is also the location of the principal ticket office and all lost property facilities for the Island Line. The larger St John's Road station houses the area office and is next to Ryde depot, where all in-house maintenance for the line takes place.
A station has existed on the site since 29 August 1864, when a horse-drawn tram service began operation along the new Ryde Pier. This service, and the line it ran along, pre-dates both the railway line and the current facilities on the site. The tramway was extended to St John's Road in August 1871, but in 1880 this service was replaced by the railway line and current station. The station was originally known as Pier Gate. Trams continued running under various power sources until after the Grouping of Britain's railways in 1923, right up to January 1969. The tram lines and the remaining terminus platforms for them are still visible at the western end of platform 1.
Make sure you look at the plaque:
A = Age at death
B = Forth number on line six
C = How many lines of text
D = How many F's on the plaque
E = Last number on the 6th line
F = How many Z's on the plaque
G = Third number on seventh line
H = How many ampersands are there on the plaque
N (A-E) (EE).(F)(B+B+G)
W (FFH) (C-H).(D-H)(A+G)