About SideTracked Caches
This cache belongs to the SideTracked series. It is not designed to take you to a magical place with a breath taking view. It's a distraction for the weary traveller, but anyone else can go and find it too. More Information can be found at the SideTracked Website
About Ashey Station
When the Ryde & Newport Railway opened the only passing loop was at Ashey. From the down loop a siding ran south to a chalk quarry under Ashey Down, this also served an adjacent racecourse which had its own station until about 1930. In 1926 the platform was extended by the Southern Railway to accommodate longer trains.
The main station buildings were located on the passing loop which was taken out of service in 1926 and following the closure of the racecourse in the 1930's, passenger numbers quickly declined and in 1953 the station was reduced to unmanned halt status.
The down platform has now been restored and the station reopened as part of the Isle of Wight Steam Railway. There is some confusion over up and down lines. Many web sites refer to the restored platform as the 'up' platform. Old timetables and track plans show it as the 'down' platform.