St. John's Wood Underground Station
Is a London Underground station located in St John's Wood in the City of Westminster, north-west London. It was opened in 1939 as a stop on the Bakerloo line. Today St. John's Wood is served by the Jubilee line, between Swiss Cottage and Baker Street stations and is in Travelcard Zone 2. A journey between St. John's Wood and Baker Street typically takes less than three minutes.
The station building is located on the corner of Acacia Road and Finchley Road and tube maps from late 1938 and early 1939 indicate that it was originally to be given the name Acacia Road or Acacia.This station is the nearest to Lord's Cricket Ground and Abbey Road Studios. The station is therefore not to be confused with Abbey Road DLR station in east London.
The station was opened on 20 November 1939 on a new section of deep-level tunnel constructed between Baker Street and Finchley Road when the Metropolitan line's services on its Stanmore branch were transferred to the Bakerloo line. It was transferred along with the rest of the Stanmore branch to the Jubilee line when it opened in 1979.
With the opening of St. John's Wood station, two nearby stations on the Metropolitan line were closed. These were Lord's (which had been opened with the name St. John's Wood Road before being renamed St. John's Wood and then Lord's) and Marlborough Road.
The station building is Grade II listed and its platform design remains the same as when opened in 1939, as designed by Harold Stabler.
In 2006 the tiles were cleaned up and replaced