REALLY SideTracked - Savage Station
Related Web Page
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
About SideTracked Caches
This cache belongs to the SideTracked series. It is not designed to take you to a magical place with a breath taking view. It's a distraction for the weary traveller, but anyone else can go and find it too. More Information can be found at the SideTracked Website
About Savage Station
BRIEF HISTORY OF RAILROAD & DEPOT IN SAVAGE
Records seem to indicate that the first railroad in Hamilton was the Minnesota Valley Railroad Company. In 1870, it became the St. Paul and Sioux City RR. The depot was built in 1880 by the Chicago, Minneapolis and Omaha RR. In 1904 the railroad became the Chicago Northwestern RR which was the same time the city name was changed by the post office to Savage. Most of the freight and mail was for Mr. Savage who owned the huge International Stock Food Farm located near the depot. (Several photos show the farm behind the depot and some are of Mr. Savage.)
The Savage and Shakopee depots were closed in 1970 when a new depot was built between the two cities. Murphys Landing records indicate when depots are closed they are typically sold or demolished. Murphys purchased the Savage Depot and moved it their site in Shakopee in 1973.
Three Rivers Park District took over ownership of Murphys Landing in early 2000, they set out to evaluate all of the structures. The Dan Patch Historical Society sent a letter stating if there ever was a possibility that they no longer wanted the Savage depot, we would be interested.
On March 8, 2005 the Savage City Council hired a consultant to develop a site plan for the public square that could possibly be a site for the depot. City staff evaluated the depot and determined that it would roughly cost $130,000 to move and renovate the building for year around occupancy.
The Dan Patch Historical Society at their meeting of March 16, 2005 agreed to raise the funds to move it to a location in Savage and to remove the foundation at Murphy's Landing and restore the land to its original state.
The Society would also facilitate getting volunteers, contributions and possibly a general contractor. A slogan of BRING THE DEPOT HOME was proposed.
At the April 18, 2005 city council meeting a presentation on the concept plan to upgrade the town square which included the depot. The council approved an RFP process to solicit engineering services to complete final plans and specifications. (see Savage Pacer article, April 23, 2005). The council also passed a motion supporting the Dan Patch Historical Society's efforts to move the depot back to the city.
Gnxr n frng jvgu Qna Cngpu