The History of the Lee House. According to biographer Anderson, “Light Horse Harry” Lee bought 17,000 acres along Howard’s Lick and Cove Run for speculative purposes but went into debt before he could develop the property. Rather than have the property seized by creditors, he transferred it to his four sons including the infant Robert and his elder brother, Charles in 1807. The brothers later transferred it to Charles who had an idea to start a resort recognizing the value of the sulphur spring. In 1848 he had a two-story hotel and spa built on site. During the 1850’s his younger brother Robert, hero of the Mexican war, did visit once and had tea made with the spring water. Charles Carter deeded the property to his son George in 1871 who further improved the property. George Lee ran the hotel until 1879 when it was acquired by entrepreneurs who renamed it Lee White Sulphur Springs. In the 1890s H. S. Carr enlarged the hotel and added a bowling alley. The hotel was destroyed by fire in 1923 and the resort fell into hard times. In 1934, the state of West Virginia purchased the property, including the Lee house to create the 3,712 acre Lost River State Park. The Civilian Conservation Corps moved and renovated the Lee house which is now maintained as a museum. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on July 30, 1974.
Cell Service in the area is limited. This is a very family friendly cache with swag exchange and log.