2018 WGA Spring Geo Campout
The Wisconsin Geocaching Association will be hosting their annual Geo Campout at Wyalusing State Park. Perched atop 500 foot tall bluffs, this park offers magnificent views of the confluence of the Wisconsin and Mississippi Rivers. One of Wisconsin's first State Parks, Wyalusing offers lessons in the geology of the region, with over 400 million years of water erosion exposing the layers of rock that make up the 2 billion years of geologic history. The Native Americans and European influence in the region can be seen in the burial mounds of the Woodland Indians and the fur trading routes that were discovered through the journeys of Marquette and Joliet. Formerly Nelson Dewey State Park when it was establish in 1917, the name was changed to Wyalusing in 1937 and has been greeting visitors with hiking and canoe trails, fishing and bird watching, and of course camping with spectacular views. For more information on Wyalusing State Park visit the DNR's Website here:
Wyalusing State Park
This year, we will have a theme for the campout, which will be Mardi Gras! Decorate your campsite in the spirit of Mardis Gras for a chance to win a prize. Or, if decorating isn't your thing, be ready to vote on your favorite campsite!! We have some fun Mardis Gras themed activities planned as well!
Do you need a WGA name tag?
Name tags will be created for PICK UP ONLY, at the WGA Spring Campout. Please only request a name tag if you will be able to pick it up during the campout. Requests for name tags can be made through the WGA website, and will be open until May 13th.
WGA NAMETAG REQUEST
We have reserved the Peterson Shelter and group camp site “C” for the event. Group campsites can be reserved through the WGA Store.The cost is $10 per night for the group sites. Alternate lodging options can be found on the Prairie du Chien Chamber of Commerce website.
Prairie du Chien Chamber of Commerace website: http://prairieduchien.org/
WGA Store: http://www.wi-geocaching.com/product-category/group-camping/
Watch for announcements on the WGA Website, Facebook Page and of course here on the cache page.. (Put this on “Your Watchlist”)
The WGA will once again be hosting a pancake breakfast on Sunday morning, but due to some recent policy changes by Groundspeak in regards to events, there will not be a separate event page published. Please indicate in your will attend for the campout, if you will be attending the breakfast, and how many to expect. We need a good number to make sure we have enough caching fuel for everyone.
- 3:00pm - Group Camp Setup Starts - 3:00pm
- 8:00 - Campfire Social at Group Campsite C
- 11:00pm - Park Closed to Non-Campers
- 9:00am - Pavilion Opens
- 9:00am – 10:00am – Campsite Decorating Contest and Night Cache Registration
- 9:00am – 1:00pm - Purchase Skill Game’s - Bison Tubes and Mardi Gras Ducks
- 9:00am – 4:00pm – Name Tag Pick-Up, Merchandise Sales and TB Exchange
- 9:00, 10:00, 11:00am - Want a Caching Buddy? Meet at the Shelter
- 10:00am – 4:00pm – Mardis Gras Photo Booth
- 11:30am – 1:00pm - Grills are Open for Lunch
To ensure variety, please bring an item to share based on your Last name:
Last name A-H: salad, vegetable or fruit
Last name I-P: chips or snacks
Last name Q-Z: cookies or dessert
- 1:00pm – 4:00pm – Mardi Gras Chuck a Duck Skill Game and Mardi Gras Kid’s Activities
- 4:15pm - Group Photo
- 4:30pm - General Member Meeting, Awards, Announcements, Open Forum
- 5:00pm – 6:00pm - Grills are Open for Dinner
- 7:00pm – 8:45pm - Night Cache Set-up
- 8:45pm - Annual Tradition - Night Caches
- 9:30pm – 11:00pm - Group Campfire at Campsite C
- 11:00pm - Park Closes to Non-campers
- 8:00am – 10:00am – Pancake Breakfast - (you must purchase your plate by 10:00, we will continue serving a little after that)
Breakfast Cost: $5 for adults (13 years and older), $3 for children 6-12, and free for children under 6. (Note that geocachers may attend and participate in the social activities for free, but they will not get anything to eat.)
- Pancakes… lots of them
- Breakfast sausage (a reasonable limit will be placed on to control costs)
- Beverage of your choice, including coffee, orange juice and milk
- Fresh fruit such as bananas and oranges