The cache is a customised magnetic micro hidden at the side of a road but close to the original Ingham station.
The Bury St Edmunds and Thetford (B&TR) line between Bury and Thetford Bridge stations was opened on 1 March 1876. Ingham station was first stop after Bury.The B&TR was then purchased in 1878 by the Great Eastern Railway and after this, trains from Bury began to run to Thetford Station.
Ingham station was closed to passenger traffic on 8 June 1953 although goods traffic lingered on for a few years before finishing on 24 June 1960. The station had a single platform with a ticket office in a flint built station building, and a small goods yard. The flint station building can be seen here, the original platform was to the right. Today the site is occupied by light industry.
This photo of Ingham railway station (by Walton Burrell) shows Royal Defence soldiers leaving for Masham in Yorkshire, and was taken on 11 February 1917. These men had spent some months building, then destroying, a mock WWI trench-style battlefield at nearby Elveden. Other soldiers were continually arriving during WWI to train at Ingham Camp, and then they travelled onwards to their next destination.
The parapet of the railway bridge just to the south of Ingham station can still be seen, although the bridge has long since been filled in:
An old OS map showing Ingham station and a comparative aerial view showing the site today:
For more information on SideTracked Caches please visit www.SideTrackedSeries.co.uk