Village signs is a series of caches based on the ornate signs that depict the heritage, history and culture of the villages that put them up (normally on the village green!).
The signs can be made of different materials from fibreglass to wood, from forged steel to stone. They can depict anything from local industry to historical events. The tradition probably stated in Norfolk or Suffolk and has now spread across most of the country so we thought we would base a series on them!
The following is taken from Wikipedia. Flixton is a village and civil parish located in the district of Waveney in the English county of Suffolk. It is located around 2 miles (3.2 km) southwest of Bungay to the south of the River Waveney on the Norfolk border. In 2001 and 2011 the population of the civil parish of Flixton was 176.
The village was the site of a medieval Augustine priory and a World War II airfield.
Flixton Priory was founded in the 13th century. The ruined remains of the moated priory are located to the south of the village near to Abbey Farm. These include sections of wall, earthworks and fishponds.
The substantial Flixton Hall provided one of the backdrops for the 1947 children's film The Secret Tunnel, before being demolished in the 1950s.
RAF Bungay was located at Flixton. The World War II airfield was built in 1942 as a base for bombers of the United States Army Air Forces' Eighth Air Force. At the end of the war the airfield was used as a prisoner of war camp and then by the RAF as a bomb store until its closure in 1955. Some areas of the airfield remain, including parts of a taxiway and a war memorial dedicated to the 446th Bombardment Group, nicknamed the Bungay Buckeroos, which was based at Bungay from November 1943 until the end of the war. The Norfolk and Suffolk Aviation Museum is located in the village today.
Abbey Wood, located to the south of the village, is an area of ancient woodland designated as a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI). The site covers 18.5 hectares (45.7 acres) and includes a range of woodland species such as oak, ash and hazel as well as the rare woodland floor thin-spiked Wood Sedge, Carex strigosa. The woods were probably once associated with Flixton abbey, the site of which borders the woods.
If anybody would like to expand this series please do. I would just ask that you let Smokeypugs know first so they can keep track of the Village Sign numbers and names to avoid duplication.