Saturday, August 17, 2019
3:00 PM to 8:30 PM
Potluck Picnic, games, prizes, and most importantly... geo-friends!
The Geo-Family Feud returns! Along with the 'Feud', a new geo-game, "Wheel of Geocaching!" will be revealed as part of this summer's Game Night event. Of course there will also be trivia. Read on for details.
Before 3:00: The pavilion is rented all day; setup will be ongoing at GZ as soon as the hosts are able to arrive, likely before Noon; enjoy the offerings of the state park if you arrive before the official start time. You might even want to track down some area geocaches if desired. Come see us at the pavilion between Noon and 3:00pm for a geo-related activity if you wish... It might even lead you land a guaranteed spot in the "Wheel of Geocaching!"
3:00 PM: Event kick off; meet and greet; fire up grills
3:30 PM: As food becomes available, enjoy picnic fare and potluck items
4:15 PM: Eating and geo-conversation continues; pick up forms for the pre-games trivia
4:30 PM: Pre-games trivia (Geo-Jeopardy style *) for everyone in attendance (all who are interested); highest scoring participants get entered into first round of "Wheel of Geocaching!"
5:00 PM: "Wheel of Geocaching!" Three short rounds of three players each will allow three of the first-round winners to play the full four-puzzle (plus champion final) game, similar to the standard TV-version operation. The pre-game trivia, along with another puzzle or two, plus a random drawing will seed the first rounds of "Wheel".
6:30 PM: The Geo-Family Feud Returns **
7:45 PM (or end of Feud): Final Trivia and drawings for remaining prizes
8:00 PM: Event conclusion and final event geo-conversation... Thanks to everyone for joining us!
* Note: This trivia is Geo-Jeopardy in style, similar to that used for "Final Trivia" on March 30, 2019 (Game Night 1, Part 2) and can allow everyone to play along. It is not a full-blown Geo-Jeopardy round like first used during the February 16 event (Game Night 1, Part 1). Our reigning Geo-Jeopardy champion, m3a9, will be working to defend his title at a future event (likely the Fall Game Night), for the next round of the full-blown (and upgraded "version 2.0") Geo-Jeopardy.
** Note: For this second evening of The Geo-Family Feud, we will use pre-registration online to assist in building the possible teams. Final team arrangement will be done at the picnic to fill remaining holes. If enough survey questions and data exist, we will attempt to create additional opportunity for everyone interested to play in a Geo-Family Feud round, but this will depend on the amount of available survey data collected. For "Wheel", we will use the pre-game trivia results to fill in available slots, as well as possibly another puzzle handout and some other opportunities, including random drawings as necessary.
Useful Event Links
Team Registration form for The Geo-Family Feud
Picnic needs sign-up form
Event Landing Page (at hippocache.org)
Stay tuned! Announcements on this page will be used to communicate any updates or changes to the schedule. If you are "will attended" on this event, these announcements and updates should come to your email via geocaching.com
Everyone in attendance is invited to bring a picnic dish (or picnic supply), but this is not a requirement for attending. Optionally, donations towards the pavilion rental price may also be accepted, but this is also not required. In your "will attend" log, feel free to offer any suggestions of what you might like to bring food-wise (if you intend to do so). You may also use the Picnic needs sign-up form link in the blue box above.
Some possible picnic needs and suggestions (and those who will bring)
- Hot dogs - mrGreen317 - 32 to 48 dogs
- Hot dog buns - mrGreen317 / m3a9
- Hamburger - green nikki - 36 or so burgers
- Hamburger rolls - GR8Caches / m3a9
- Condiments (ketchup, mustard, relish, mayo, etc) - green nikki, mrGreen317, m3a9; anyone else is welcome to add their favorite condiments
- Beans (or bean-based recipe/dish)
- Pasta / Macaroni salad / etc - AL's Guide (Cucumber and onion salad in vinegar.)
- 12 oz soda cans / water / tea / etc - AL's Guide (Lemonade / Tea)
- Snack items / chips / etc - mrGreen317
- Other potluck / casserole / etc - GR8Caches (Deviled Eggs)
- Dessert dish or item - beans&franks (Chocolate Cake)
- Plastic dinner wear - mrGreen317 has a box of plastic dinnerware
- Paper plates, etc - mrGreen317 will bring some plates, bowls, and plastic cups
- Paper napkins - m3a9
Wheel of Geocaching!: That's right... Another game-show-style adaptation is coming to the Game Night, Summer Picnic Edition. We anticipate three participants in three "play-in" rounds (nine game slots in total) leading to three winners to move on to play head-to head against a four-puzzle TV show format of the game. The winner of which will get a final puzzle to play for an additional prize selected from the prize wheel.
The Geo-Family Feud: Two teams of up to five each try to think like a geocacher and respond with answers to geo-related questions posed by survey to 100 (or more) geocachers from around the internet. Which team will most think like a typical geocacher and win the day? Team registration helps us plan by knowing what interest this is in playing this game, so please fill in the quick Feud Team Registration Form to let us know if you wish to play. Thanks!
We are looking forward to sharing more Game Night fun with our geo friends and neighbors this summer!
If you can't stay for the entire event, feel free to drop in as you are able, considering the schedule posted above. If updates to the schedule are made as the event draws near, announcements will be made on this geocaching event listing to serve as alerts to these changes.
Driving to the event: Please see the waypoints on this event cache listing (if needed) for helpful navigation points to enter the roads of the state park where the event will be held. Please note the posted speed limits on roads within the park, none of which are likely above 25 mph. The hint will provide the specific location within the park by name. See this page for maps of the park.
For more information about the park, such as camping, hiking, or fishing opportunities, please see the main park page.