Skip to Content

<

Château de Léhon

A cache by clYk Send Message to Owner Message this owner
Hidden : 04/10/2019
Difficulty:
2 out of 5
Terrain:
2 out of 5

Size: Size: small (small)

Join now to view geocache location details. It's free!

Watch

How Geocaching Works

Please note Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Geocache Description:


Château de Léhon

FR

Le château primitif existe déjà en 1034 lors de sa destruction par le duc de Bretagne, date à laquelle il est mentionné dans la guerre pour la possession de l'héritage entre Alain et Eudon, les fils du duc Geoffroy Ier. Eudon, après un conflit avec son frère et l'arbitrage de leur oncle Judicaël évêque de Vannes, obtient d'Alain III en 1035 un vaste apanage constitué dans les évêchés de Saint Brieuc, Tréguier Saint-Malo et Dol-de-Bretagne, qui comprend les comtés et baronnies de Penthièvre, Goëlo et Lamballe.


XI siècle : un château de bois


Peu après l'an Mil, un vicomte de Dol prend possession de la partie méridionale de l'ancien évêché d'Aleth (plus tard transféré à Saint-Malo). Il établit le centre de sa seigneurie à Léhon. Le château subit une première destruction en 1034 par le Duc de Bretagne, une seconde en 1065 par le Duc de Normandie. Il est alors abandonné en faveur d'un nouveau château à Dinan qui devient le centre de la seigneurie (le "Château Ganne") avec un enchâtellement (ou incastellamento).


XII siècle : pierres en remploi du château roman


Du château roman, fondé au début du XIe siècle, donné en 1065, mais reconstruit à deux reprises en 1124 et 1170, il ne reste rien de visible, sinon des pierres en réemploi.


XIII siècle : le château ducal sur plan régulier


Du château ducal bâti dans le dernier tiers du Xllle siècle, il reste l'essentiel du plan. C'est un tracé quadrangulaire dont la forme trapézoïdale est due à la volonté d'utiliser au maximum l'assiette rocheuse. Il était régulièrement flanqué, aux angles, de tours presque rondes (de plan outrepassé), au milieu des côtés, de tours en fer à cheval. Dans les plans du XIIIe siècle, le donjon commande la défense du côté le plus menacé par les machines de guerre. S'il reste un donjon au milieu de la place, comme le laissent entendre les descriptions sommaires des XVII, et XIXèmes siècles, il est un reliquat d'un château antérieur.


XIV siècle : un nouveau donjon en éperon


La guerre de succession au duché sur laquelle s'imprime la guerre de Cent-Ans n'épargne pas le château de Léhon. A l'angle Nord-Ouest, le socle rocheux et les courtines avaient été sapés et renversés. L'enceinte à dû être relevée en retrait par rapport au tracé précédent. De la tour de l'angle Nord-Ouest on a fait un fer à cheval. Les murs du front d'attaque, à l'ouest, ont été renforcés pour former un bouclier. La pointe de l'éperon a été garnie d'un nouveau donjon, puissante tour à fort talus habillant le rocher. Sur le front oriental (côté de l'accès), la tour intermédiaire a été dérasée et intégrée dans une barbacane. Certains auteurs ont supposé deux tours encadrant l'entrée, mais les vues anciennes montrent toutes le côté Est sans tour médiane. Aucune de ces modifications n'a prévu la défense avec l'arme à feu. Les postes de tir sont des archères.


XV siècle : la transformation pour armes à feu


Les courtines ont probablement été haussées au niveau des tours. Leur base en tout cas a été puissamment renforcée à l'extérieur par un talus de maçonnerie et à l'intérieur par un remparement, un talus de terre. D'anciennes meurtrières ont été élargies pour les armes à feu, de nouvelles, sans doute, ont été pratiquées pour le canon. Des fausses-braies forment une plate-forme à canon extérieure sur le front d'attaque à l'ouest.


XVI et XVII siècle : la destruction


La ruine sert de carrière à pierres. En 1642, le château de Léhon est cédé aux moines de l'abbaye de Léhon moyennant une redevance annuelle et seigneuriale. En 1677, il existait encore le donjon au milieu de l'enceinte du château.


XVIII et XIX siècle : vente et don


En 1791, le château est vendu comme bien national avec ses tours, glacis, éperons et autres dépendances.

Les ruines du château sont données à la fabrique paroissiale de Léhon et deux ans plus tard une chapelle sous le vocable de Saint-Joseph se dresse sur l’emplacement du donjon.


XX et XXI siècle : restauration


La mairie de Léhon et la commission des travaux ont confiés la restauration du site aux travailleurs du centre de Ker-Maria sous la direction de M. Floréal. Après les travaux de débroussaillage, ainsi que l'aménagement d'un petit chemin à la base des remparts de la forteresse et la récupération des pierres tombées, ainsi celles obstruant l'intérieur des tours afin de les remonter, il fut procédé à l'électrification de la butte féodale en 1999 avec 150 spots répartis sur le pourtour du site. Le château est ainsi sauvé d'une destruction totale en l'an 2000 et les ruines sont inscrites au titre des monuments historiques par arrêté du 9 novembre 2004.


Sources: Lehon 22 et Wikipedia




Pour la pérennité de la cache, restez discrets...

Merci par avance de bien refermer la boîte et de la remettre exactement comme vous l'avez trouvée.

Voir ou trouver le contenant ne suffit pas, le log doit être présent sur le logbook!

Merci également de ne pas poster de spoiler dans vos logs!

Pensez à vous munir d'un stylo.


Bon amusement, bonnes recherches, bon Geocaching!




EN

The primitive castle already existed in 1034 during its destruction by the Duke of Brittany, date when it is mentioned in the war for the possession of the inheritance between Alain and Eudon, the son of Duke Geoffroy I. Eudon, after a conflict with his brother and the arbitration of their uncle Judicael Bishop of Vannes, obtains from Alain III in 1035 a vast appanage constituted in the bishoprics of Saint Brieuc, Tréguier Saint-Malo and Dol-de-Bretagne, which includes the counties and baronies of Penthièvre, Goëlo and Lamballe.

XI century: a wooden castle


Shortly after the year 1000, a Viscount Dol took possession of the southern part of the former bishopric of Aleth (later transferred to Saint-Malo). He established the center of his lordship at Lehon. The castle suffered a first destruction in 1034 by the Duke of Brittany, a second in 1065 by the Duke of Normandy. He is then abandoned in favor of a new castle in Dinan which becomes the center of the seigniory (the "Castle Ganne") with a enchâtement (or incastellamento).


XII century: stones in use of the Romanesque castle


The Romanesque castle, founded in the early eleventh century, donated in 1065, but rebuilt twice in 1124 and 1170, there remains nothing visible, if not reused stones.


XIII century: the ducal castle on a regular plan


From the ducal castle built in the last third of the 13th century, it remains the essence of the plan. It is a quadrangular layout whose trapezoidal shape is due to the desire to make maximum use of the rock plate. It was regularly flanked, at the corners, of almost round towers (of plan hors de passe), in the middle of the sides, of horseshoe towers. In the plans of the thirteenth century, the dungeon commands the defense of the side most threatened by war machines. If there remains a dungeon in the middle of the square, as the summary descriptions of the 17th and 19th centuries suggest, it is a relic of an earlier castle.


XIV century: a new dungeon spur


The war of succession to the duchy on which the Hundred Years War is printed does not spare the castle of Léhon. At the northwest corner, the bedrock and curtain walls had been undermined and overturned. The enclosure had to be raised back from the previous layout. From the tower of the North-West corner we made a horseshoe. The walls of the attack front, to the west, have been reinforced to form a shield. The tip of the spur has been filled with a new dungeon, a powerful tower with a large embankment covering the rock. On the eastern front (access side), the intermediate tower was derailed and integrated into a barbican. Some authors have assumed two towers framing the entrance, but the old views all show the east side without a median turn. None of these modifications provided for the defense with the firearm. Shooting stations are archers.


XV century: the transformation for firearms


The curtains were probably raised at the level of the towers. Their base in any case was powerfully reinforced on the outside by a masonry slope and inside by a rampart, an embankment of earth. Old loopholes have been expanded for firearms; new ones, no doubt, have been made for the gun. False-braies form an outer-barrel platform on the western front.


XVI and XVII century: the destruction


The ruin serves as a stone quarry. In 1642, the castle of Léhon is yielded to the monks of the abbey of Léhon for an annual and seigniorial royalty. In 1677, there was still the dungeon in the middle of the castle.


XVIII and XIX century: sale and donation


In 1791, the castle is sold as national property with its towers, glazes, spurs and other outbuildings.

The ruins of the castle are donated to the parish factory of Léhon and two years later a chapel under the name of St. Joseph stands on the site of the dungeon.

XX and XXI century: restoration


The town hall of Léhon and the commission of work entrusted the restoration of the site to the workers of the center of Ker-Maria under the direction of Mr. Floréal. After the clearing work, as well as the construction of a small road at the base of the ramparts of the fortress and the recovery of the fallen stones, thus those obstructing the interior of the towers in order to put them back together, it was proceeded to the electrification of the feudal mound in 1999 with 150 spots spread around the perimeter of the site. The castle is thus saved from a total destruction in the year 2000 and the ruins are inscribed as historical monuments by order of 9 November 2004.


Sources: Lehon 22 and Wikipedia




For the durability of the cache, stay discreet ...

Thank you in advance for closing the box well, and putting it back exactly as you found it.

Seeing or finding the container is not enough, you have to sign the logbook!

Also, please do not post spoilers in your logs!

Don't forget to bring your own pen.


Have fun, good research, good Geocaching!

Additional Hints (Decrypt)

2

Decryption Key

A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M
-------------------------
N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|V|W|X|Y|Z

(letter above equals below, and vice versa)



 

Find...

93 Logged Visits

Found it 86     Didn't find it 1     Write note 5     Publish Listing 1     

View Logbook | View the Image Gallery of 16 images

**Warning! Spoilers may be included in the descriptions or links.

Current Time:
Last Updated:
Rendered From:Unknown
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum

Return to the Top of the Page

Reviewer notes

Use this space to describe your geocache location, container, and how it's hidden to your reviewer. If you've made changes, tell the reviewer what changes you made. The more they know, the easier it is for them to publish your geocache. This note will not be visible to the public when your geocache is published.