Skip to content

HHS - Surveyor Says (L'arpenteur dit) Multi-cache

Hidden : 04/29/2019
Difficulty:
1.5 out of 5
Terrain:
5 out of 5

Size: Size:   micro (micro)

Join now to view geocache location details. It's free!

Watch

How Geocaching Works

Please note Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Geocache Description:


ENGLISH // FRANÇAIS

The Heritage Hide’n’Seek Geocache Series isn’t your typical history or geography lesson.  Get ready to explore Northern Ontario and discover how its people, places and events shaped the Canada we know today.  Find the caches, answer the questions, collect at least 100 points, and you’ll be eligible for a collectible Heritage Hide‘n’Seek geocoin.

Send your completed passport to:
Parks Canada—Geocache Series, 201 – 201 May Street North, Thunder Bay, Ontario, P7C 3P4
 
Bring your own pencil, as each cache is only large enough to contain a logbook (no trade items, please).
 
All geocaches are accessible directly from trails or public areas.
 
Cache may not be accessible in winter.
 
This cache is worth 80 points.
 
Moose Factory, the second oldest Hudson’s Bay Company (HBC) post was built at the mouth of the Moose River in 1673.  For a time it served as the Company’s Southern Department headquarters and supplied posts inland as far as Lake Timiskaming on the Ottawa River watershed. The Staff House, built between 1847 and 1851, was intended as a living quarters for unmarried officers of the company. It has at various times been used for offices, a doctor’s practice, a sales shop and officer’s mess, but it always provided accommodations. The powder magazine and the Staff House are the only two HBC building still located on their original footprints.
 
When the fur trade declined, Moose Factory transitioned from company town to permanent settlement for the Ililiw (Cree), on whose expertise and hospitality it had long depended.
 
Use the Moose Factory Buildings plaque and the clues below to determine the final stage of this adventure.

First blank:  How many chimneys does the staff house have?

Second blank: How many languages appear on the Moose Factory Buildings plaque?

Third blank: How many first floor windows are to the right of the main door of the staff house?

N 51° 15._49 W 80° 36.3_ _


1795 map produced with information gathered by Philip Turnor (© Aaron Arrowsmith, 1750-1823)
1795 map produced with information gathered by Philip Turnor (© Aaron Arrowsmith, 1750-1823)

Philip Turnor arrived at York Factory (Churchill, Manitoba) August 24, 1778 to begin his work as an inland surveyor for the Hudson’s Bay Company (HBC).  The HBC hired Philip Turnor for £50 per annum to determine the positions of its posts.
 
Between 1778 and 1782, Turnor mapped posts in Saskatchewan, Manitoba and Ontario.  For the next five years, he was master at two HBC posts and established a third on the Abitibi River.  For a short time, Turnor returned to England to work on his maps and regain his health.  The HBC once again engaged Turnor in 1789 to find a route from the Saskatchewan River to Lake Athabasca and Fort Chipewyan (Alberta).  During his first winter back in the north country, he taught surveying to Peter Fidler and David Thompson.  Turnor eventually returned to London, where he taught navigation before dying in 1800.

Turnor’s work was very important to helping the HBC understand the positions of its inland posts and the river routes which linked them.  Ultimately, the company also amassed a wealth of information concerning the interior of North America.  In 1795, this information was published as a map by Aaron Arrowsmith, a London cartographer.  It formed the basis of many subsequent maps of Canada.

FRANÇAIS

Le Cache-cache patrimoine série de géocaches est complètement différent d’un cours d’histoire ou géographie traditionnel. Préparez-vous à explorer le Nord de l’Ontario et à découvrir comment cette région a façonné le Canada que nous connaissons aujourd’hui. Trouvez les caches, répondez aux questions, obtenez au moins 100 points et vous pourriez vous mériter une géopièce du Cache-cache patrimoine à collectionner.

Envoyez votre passeport rempli à l’adresse suivante :
Parcs Canada – Série de géocaches, 201, rue May Nord, bureau 201, Thunder Bay (Ontario) P7C 3P4

Apportez votre propre crayon, car les caches peuvent uniquement contenir un registre (aucun article à échanger, s’il vous plaît).

Toutes les géocaches sont accessibles directement à partir des sentiers ou des aires publiques.

Les caches pourraient ne pas être accessibles en hiver.

Cette cache vaut 80 points.

Moose Factory, le deuxième plus vieux poste de traite de la Compagnie de la baie d’Hudson (CBH) a été construit à l’embouchure de la rivière Moose en 1673. Pendant un certain temps, il a servi à titre de siège du département du Sud de la Compagnie et approvisionnait les postes de traite intérieurs aussi éloignés que celui du lac Témiscaminque du bassin hydrographique de la rivière des Outaouais. La maison du personnel, bâtie entre 1847 et 1851, devait servir de logement pour les officiers célibataires de la Compagnie. À différents moments, on l’a utilisé à titre de bureau, de cabinet médical, de magasin de vente et de mess des officiers, mais il a toujours également servi de logement. La poudrière et la maison du personnel sont les deux seuls bâtiments de la CBH qui se trouvent toujours sur leur empreinte originale.

Lorsque la traite des fourrures a perdu de l’ampleur, Moose Factory a effectué la transition de ville de compagnie à établissement permanent pour les Ililiw (Cris); on dépendait déjà de leur expertise et de leur hospitalité depuis longtemps.

Utiliser la plaque des bâtiments de Moose Factory et les indices ci-dessous pour déterminer les dernières étapes de cette aventure.

Premier blanc : Combien de cheminées la maison du personnel compte-t-elle?

Deuxième blanc : Combien de langues apparaissent sur la plaque des bâtiments de Moose Factory?

Troisième blanc : Combien de fenêtres trouve-t-on au premier étage à la droite de la porte principale de la maison du personnel?

N 51° 15._49 W 80° 36.3_ _


Carte de 1795 dessinée à partir des renseignements recueillis par Philip Turnor (© Aaron Arrowsmith, 1750-1823)
Carte de 1795 dessinée à partir des renseignements recueillis par Philip Turnor (© Aaron Arrowsmith, 1750-1823)

Philip Turnor arrive à York Factory à Churchill, au Manitoba, le 24 août 1778 pour commencer son travail d’arpenteur de l’arrière pays pour la Compagnie de la Baie d’Hudson. Cette dernière embauche Philip Turnor pour la somme de 50 livres par année pour qu’il fasse le relevé de ses postes de traite.

De 1778 à 1782, Turnor confirme la position des les postes de la Saskatchewan, du Manitoba et de l’Ontario. Pendant les cinq années suivantes, il travaille comme maître dans deux postes de la Compagnie de la Baie d’Hudson et en établit un troisième, sur la rivière Abitibi. Pendant une courte période, Turnor retourne en Angleterre pour travailler sur ses cartes et se refaire une santé. La Compagnie l’engage encore une fois en 1789 pour trouver une route qui permettrait de relier la rivière Saskatchewan au lac Athabasca et à Fort Chipewyan, en Alberta. Au cours de l’hiver qui suit, dans le Nord du pays, il enseigne le métier d’arpenteur à Peter Fidler et à David Thompson. Turnor retourne plus tard à Londres, où il enseigne la navigation avant de mourir en 1800.

Les travaux de Turnor aident considérablement la Compagnie de la Baie d’Hudson à comprendre le positionnement de ses postes situés à l’intérieur des terres, ainsi que des voies fluviales qui les relient. Au bout du compte, la compagnie recueille une mine d’autres renseignements sur les territoires intérieurs de l’Amérique du Nord. En 1795, ces renseignements servent à la publication d’une carte, dessinée par Aaron Arrowsmith, cartographe londonien. Cette carte constituera par la suite la base de nombreuses autres cartes du Canada.

 

Additional Hints (No hints available.)