This Virtual Cache is located at the largest and most comprehensive museum of land transport in South Africa. It was established by the late Jimmie Hall together with the City of Johannesburg in February 1964
At this location there is a fascinating collection of memorabilia, artifacts, and special interest vehicles as well as an extremely rare and exciting steam vehicle collection.
The museum houses a collection of over 2500 items and is the largest of its kind in South Africa.
This is a place where generations of youngsters can see the many ways their grandparents and great-grandparents got around the city - and the country - all those years ago.
Have you ever wondered whether there was a time when Johannesburg's roads weren't packed with speeding cars?
The museum is a treasure trove of information and displays dealing with over a hundred years of land transport in all its forms, this is where our city's rich history of transportation is recreated and one can see how those whom built the city would have traveled.
Children will be in awe of the museum's collection of animal-drawn carts, ox-wagons, bicycles, coaches, motorbikes, steam locomotives, electric cars, fire engines and other self-propelled vehicles.
The museum's bicycle display includes penny-farthings, a tandem and tricycles.
Jimmie Hall was a car enthusiast with a special interest in vintage models. The oldest motorcar on display is a 1900 Clement Panhard.
Peter Hall, son of Jimmie, was head of the museum until he retired at the end of December 2012.
Peter honored his father's legacy by collecting and preserving vintage cars.
The museum appeals to a cross-section of society, from school children learning about the history of transportation to enthusiasts from all over South Africa and overseas.
Other remarkable items on display include rickshaws, which were used in Johannesburg until 1967, horse-drawn trams that were still in use at the turn of the last century and the last electric double-decker tram that ran through parts of Johannesburg back in 1961.
Early motorcycles that combined the principles of the bicycle and the internal combustion engine are on view, and visitors can also see a luxurious private coach from 1905, fire fighting vehicles like the 1913 Merryweather Steam pump and a 1959 Mayoral Rolls Royce.
There is no entry fee to the museum however donations are welcome
In order to log this Virtual Cache you will need to complete a trip to the museum along with the below requirements:
Please note any photo's of the answers will be removed from the cache listing but you are welcome to send them to me in a message along with your answers
1) Who unveiled the start/finish of the Historic DJ Run and when?
2) What was the use of the back seat of the gig horse-drawn carriage?
3) Who was the last person to use a Cape cart up until his death in 1966?
4) What is the address of Alex Pirie and Sons?
5) What is written on the back right of the Gospel Caravan?
6) How many Seats does a Spider wagon have?
7) What is the name of the South African electric car?
8) What is the range of the Enfield Electric car?
9) What is the engine size of the Messerschmitt on display?
10) What is the registration of the Renault AX roadster?
11) What is the name of the company that delivered mail using a coach?
12) What is the name and age of South Africa's oldest motorcycle?
13) What is the brand name of the vehicle from Pilgrims Rest?
14) what is the name of the fire engine with the registration TJ 349-247?
15) When and where was the Westbank any car born?
16) What is written on the front top of the Christmas Bus?
17) What is the number on the side of the Vehicle used to remove the trolley bus system in 1976?
18) What is the name of the Orange car?
19) What is the age of the racing penny-fathering?
20) When was the Rolls-Royce Silver Wraith used till?
21) What was a fire-proof suit made of in 1950s?
22) What is the age of the Austin Seven Sedan?
23) Is the motorcycle with the registration TV 583 chain or shaft driven?
24) What is the name of the blue moped?
25) Take a photo by the license plate TJ 1. (make sure it is identifiable as yourself or your team)
26) What is the make of the Hurse with the license plate CK 144?
27) Who did Charles W. Nash work for when he purchased the Thomas B Jeffery company?
28) What is the age of the cream Volkswagen beetle?
29) When was the First car accident in South Africa?
30) Name one of the three belt-driven motorcycles on display.
31) What is the number on the wolhunter fordsburg horse-drawn tram?
32) What is the capacity of the Daimler Trolly bus?
33) What is the gross vehicle mass of the traveling Library?
34) How many Scholars had to sit per seat in Tram 20?
35) What is the maximum number of people allowed in the Otis elevator?
Virtual Rewards 2.0 - 2019/2020
This Virtual Cache is part of a limited release of Virtuals created between June 4, 2019 and June 4, 2020. Only 4,000 cache owners were given the opportunity to hide a Virtual Cache. Learn more about Virtual Rewards 2.0 on the Geocaching Blog.