This Virtual Is located in the Pilanesburg Nature Rererve.
The Pilanesberg Centre is located at the heart of Pilanesberg National Park close to Mankwe Dam, one of the parks best viewing areas and is well worth a quick pit stop during a long game drive.
Before the park was opened in 1981 the historic building was used as a magistrate’s court and a home affairs office for local residents that had previously lived within the current park boundaries.
Today, the centre offers a range of facilities including well-maintained toilets, a gift shop where cold drinks, snacks and basic safari supplies are also available and a restaurant area serving an array of hot and cold food, tea, coffee and alcoholic beverages.
There is also an interactive computer screen where visitors can check park maps and see where the latest sightings for any particular animal have occured.
The large, open deck area at the front of the centre boasts panaramic views across the plains and rolling hills of the park and wildlife such as wildebeest, zebra graze peacefully just a few metres away.
Pilanesberg National has five public gates with an additional gate for the private Black Rhino Reserve.
Pilanesberg tariffs are per person and per vehicle.
- Adults: R80
- Adults Foreign Nationals: R110
- Children (6-12 yrs): R30
- Pensioners (SA only): R40
- Vehicles (Sedan/LDV/SUV): R40
SA citizens should produce identity document to substantiate citizenship
Pilanesberg is a malaria-free park that is open year round.
- March and April: 6h00-18h30
- May to September: 6h30-18h00
- September and October: 6h00-18h30
- November to February: 5h30-19h00
In order to log the cache you need to make your way to the viewing deck by the restaurant (no purchase is required) and do the following:
1. Send the answer to the following question via the message centre or email to email@example.com. Please do not put your answers in the log entry : What are the two rules on the brown and yellow board?
2. Take a photo of your GPS device and/or yourself (face does not have to be included) on the viewing deck with the waterhole in the background and place this in your log. The photo needs to include your caching name, the date and time of your visit. A piece of paper with the required details will suffice.
3. Not required but I would love to know what animals you may have seen on your way to the centre. Photos are always welcome! :)
I hope you enjoy your trip to the park as much as I do.
This cache is dedicated to Mooiman, Dini and their warrior grandson Josh who love this park so much.
Virtual Rewards 2.0 - 2019/2020
This Virtual Cache is part of a limited release of Virtuals created between June 4, 2019 and June 4, 2020. Only 4,000 cache owners were given the opportunity to hide a Virtual Cache. Learn more about Virtual Rewards 2.0 on the Geocaching Blog.