About SideTracked Caches
This cache belongs to the SideTracked series. It is not designed to take you to a magical place with a breath taking view. It's a distraction for the weary traveller, but anyone else can go and find it too. More Information can be found at the SideTracked Website
About Norton Junction
REALLY SideTracked - Norton Junction
The Clarence Railway was the first competitor to the Stockton and Darlington Railway and was named after the Duke of Clarence (later King William IV). A station with two platforms was built between Norton Junction West and Norton Junction East to serve the local village of Norton. Goods and passengers travelled on the Clarence Railway Line between Coxhoe/Ferryhill to the northwest, Port Clarence/Hartlepool to the east and North Shore to the south.
There was a ticket office, waiting room, cottages for the rail-workers and a house for the inspector. The ticket office and waiting room became Junction Methodist Chapel.
Norton Junction opened in 1836 until 1877 when it was replaced by the more convenient Norton Station.
The land between the junctions was later the home of Harper's Garden Centre, florist, duck pond, bar/restaurant, bowling green and golf club; it is now the site of approximately 160 flats/houses.
The cache can be found at N54° 35.(b+d)(c+f)a W001° 20.(f-b)(e+a)d
The Inspectors House is "ab" Railway Cottage
Junction Road is B"cdef"
Pyhr'f va gur anzr (naq gur qrfpevcgvba). Purpxfhz = 19