A short Wherigo that should take less than 30 minutes
Click here to download the cartridge
The memorial originally commemorated the 58 men of Horsell who gave their lives in the First World War. It was created by Arthur Stratton (1872-1955), an architect and lecturer at King’s College London, who wrote several books on architecture and was a champion of the Tudor style.
The memorial features a small unusual octagonal cross and wheel on a tall octagonal shaft. This is mounted on a Cruciform plinth reached by three steps. The additional WW2 panel commemorates a further 43 men with a small dedication and is mounted on the inside face of the concave wall behind the cross
A further smaller tablet is on the wall to the North of the cross which says "pass not this stone in sorrow but in pride and strive to live as nobly as they died"
Remembered with thanksgiving the true and faithful men who in these years of war went forth from this place for god and their country the names of those who returned not again are here inscribed to be honoured evermore
The memorial was unveiled on 3 September 1920 by Colonel Churchill and was dedicated by the Bishop of Guildford, John Hugh Granville Randolph (1866-1936). A photograph survives which shows the dedication ceremony with the gathered crowd including Norman Pares, the vicar of the Church of St Mary the Virgin, Horsell.
***** PLEASE NOTE IMPORTANT *****
CACHES ARE NOT ALLOWED TO BE PLACED ON ACTUAL MEMORIALS OR WITHIN THE BOUNDARY OF SUCH
AT ALL TIMES PLEASE TREAT LOCATIONS OF MEMORIALS WITH RESPECT